Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle body heater plate factory hose clamp size/source

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Throttle body heater plate factory hose clamp size/source

Does anyone know what size clamps are needed for the two hoses on the throttle body heater plate? I’d like to replace the clips that someone put on here with the click-type clamps, but I want to be sure I’m getting the right sizes. Does anyone know a good place to get them? It seems AB sells worm drive clamps and I’m not sure about the quality of the ones from other sellers online.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:06 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Generic stainless worm style clamps have been working fine for me for years now.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling

I tend to like them too, but the clamps on the heater plate going to the expansion tank have some kind of squeeze tabs on them and I hate them. Are these on those hoses from the factory? I had a hell of a time with them and I think they cut into the hose. The end by the heater plate is now a bit cut up. It doesn’t seem to be leaking, but should I still replace this hose immediately? I’m wondering if I can do this with coolant on the system.

When I replace it, I’ll use the worm drive clamps. I tend to like the factory clamps since they’re somewhat idiot proof, clamping at the correct amount where I might over or under tighten another clamp.

I guess these are factory clamps for this line

It’s the end at the throttle body heater plate that got chewed up in the work I just did. I’m hoping the hose is still ok. Does the fatter part just cover up more of the skinny part of these hoses, or does it adapt at the ends? Wondering if I have to replace it right away or if it’s fine if it’s not leaking immediately after the work.

Last edited by neuropathy; 11-16-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:47 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The clamps in your pic are not factory style. OEM clams are the ones with the small tab that locks in place over the slight hump as seen in this historic thread from the past...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...mp-clip-74297/

Old 11-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Rock Crawling

I see. So this line I’ve got is aftermarket. These genuine lines seem to have a different type of clamp, but it’s hard to see. I like the click clamps though. Any advice about genuine vs aftermarket rigid lines like these and other hoses? Can it be replaced with a full expansion tank?

Old 11-17-2020, 04:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

IMO... remove theTBH stock black plastic rigid coolant line and replace with a 5/16"/8mm ID flexible coolant hose.
I've replaced both of my plastic rigid coolant lines (top radiator to expansion tank and TBH bypass) with red 8mm ID HPS brand silicone heater hoses.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 11-17-2020 at 06:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (11-20-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 06:47 AM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy
I see. So this line I’ve got is aftermarket. These genuine lines seem to have a different type of clamp, but it’s hard to see. I like the click clamps though. Any advice about genuine vs aftermarket rigid lines like these and other hoses? Can it be replaced with a full expansion tank?
Dude. You're overthinking this. They're just hose clamps.

Yes, I suppose it's possible to overtighten or undertighten a worm clamp, but it's also easy to get it right. Just snug it up and check for leaks, and don't put on your Incredible Hulk. I like to use a nutdriver instead of a screwdriver for a more positive fit. And whatever clamps that come with the aftermarket line are probably okay too.

And for replacing the line with a full expansion tank, I'll presume you mean without emptying the coolant reservoir. Yeah, you can do that if you're quick about it but you'll lose at least a little coolant. Just be very careful to not stress the nipple on the reservoir; they're prone to breaking.

Why are you replacing the line in the first place? What's connected to the nipple on the reservoir now?

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:38 AM
Rock Crawling

As it turns out, the other hose is leaking a bit (the inner hose on the heater plate). I’ll have to see what I can do about that.

About what's connected to the nipple, do you mean the hose that runs go the heater plate or the type of clamp? I think it’s one of those squeeze clamps on a rigid plastic line that has fatter, rubbery ends - I think there are two clamps on each end. The end at the throttle body heater plate got chewed up in removing it from the old plate since it was fused onto the thing.

I don’t think that ones even leaking on the end though... I’ll have to check the lines again. The day got dark fast and it took me enough time out there just to get to that point so I’ll have to look again.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
IMO... remove theTBH stock black plastic rigid coolant line and replace with a 5/16"/8mm ID flexible coolant hose.
I've replaced both of my plastic rigid coolant lines (top radiator to expansion tank and TBH bypass) with red 8mm ID HPS brand silicone heater hoses.
Do you mind sharing a photo of this? That sounds like a good plan and from what I understand, I should install a catch can there...