Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body heater plate leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default throttle body heater plate leak

Hey folks,
My 00 Disco/Bosche has developed a coolant leak at the right side connection to what I believe is the throttle body heater plate under the intake plenum (just under the butterfly).
This hose (appears to be 1/2"), heads between AC compressor and plenum to center of engine and appears to elbow down to top of manifold (hard to see back there while staying relatively clean) Please see2 pics - I lost about a pint-quart today - keeping it topped and keepingreservoir cap loose to reduce sys pressure.

I'd like to tackle myself, but I won't d/c the compressor - too much for my ability. I note that clamp is a not screwdown, but the type that has detents allowing for various diameters - I'd choose to replace with a screwdown. Are there any pitfalls to worry about here, or is it as straight forward as it seems? I'd like to replace the hose and clamps, but might stop at a new clamp and a fresh cut edge, as I seem to have enough hose to work with. My concern is getting access to the other end down behind the alternator/compressor.

Finally, hope it's just a coincidence, but I recently used starter fluid and paper towels (lint-free) to clean gummed up throttle butterflynear this location, but inside plenum. Leak became greater after this, but perhaps it was on it's way regardless. DiscoMike - note that this can be a source of stuck accelerator (lots of gum all the way up plastic intake due to clogged filter, which was in turn, due to leaky valve cover gaskets unattended for too long)

Thanks - appreciate your detailed as possible answers.

Rich

[IMG]local://upfiles/8392/E1267C4E8DC14760BFBD492CB075648C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8392/A07E1EC0DFE74518930632D981093FBC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: throttle body heater plate leak

If you would have done a search on any of the Rover forums, you'd find 100's of posts regarding this.
Go have some one install the newer revised replacement gasket set, then power scrub your engine if you want it nice and clean.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike - don't know if that's sarcasm, I apologize in advance if not. Did do a search, sorry I didn't see this - guess I need to improve my computer skills. So, this is a gasket leak, not hose, and best left to a professional?
Finally, I have always been afraid to clean an engine.
Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a common leak and the part is around $20. Any indie shop can handle it.
Engines are designed to get wet, they can handle being cleaned, at it helps them to run cooler too. All that dirt and grim holds the heat in.
Take it to a DIY carwash, turn it off, open the hood, let the engine cool for 5-10 minutes. Insert your quarters and degrease the engine, dont power wash it, dont use the high pressure wash.
After you get it clean you can use your garden hose to keep it clean, just never spray cold water onto a hot engine. And after you wash it make sure that you drive it so that all the water evaporates and things dont rust or let the water seep into electrical components.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the hoses off (before you top off the coolant again) and replace those crappy hose clamps with some screw types (don't worry about the one behind the compressor for now). It looks like somebody already replaced one clamp and the other one looks to be leaking. Replace the third clamp too. If you want, you will probably be able to start the truck and see where it drips once it reaches operating temp. You may want to replaceALL your hoses if it's never been done before.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first thing I did when I got my disco was disconnect and block off those coolant lines going to the throttle body. I do not think you need them in warm climates.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks all - with an indie right now.

A note for Mike - your knowledge is too valuable here for any of us newbies to alienate you and I'm sure I speak for all that we appreciate you vigilance on the site. Please give us new people some patience - I'm not here to help yet, though I wish I could - my only input for a while will be questions, many of them dumb or frustratingly recurrent.

A forum AND google search should always be done prior to asking question - I get it now!

The bypass was a novel idea for the mechanic, as was the commonness of this problem, both of which demonstrates the value here.

Have a good safe Fourth.