Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cable fix and warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Throttle cable fix and warning

So, was on a family vacation, truck, dog, kids, wife, hot summer etc etc. Driving down the road and foot drops to the floor and truck looses all power. Coast to the side and discover that my throttle cable snapped. It broke a few inches from where it connects on throttle body. Had a few minutes of WTF then pulled one of my bush cables I had running from roof rack to the front bumper. Attached the cable to the broken throttle cable, ran it out the engine and through the passenger side window with a little handle I made from a stick. Drove the rest of the 2 hours home by throttling with my right arm like a friggin water ski rope. It worked. Ironically I got amazing gas milage that day because I was so lite on the throttle.
video link below.

FYI, i've owned 2 D2's in my life and both of them snapped the throttle cable at random times with no waring at all. My advice, next time you are at a wrecker or snooping around a parts D2, grab the throttle cable and keep it in your truck. It's very easy to switch out and can be done with a pair of pliers. Curious if this is just bad luck for me or if many people have had this happen.
Keep calm and Disco on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihha...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I've always told people to check their throttle cables/cruise control cables due to the age of our D2's. I honestly get laughed at, but oh well. They had a TSB on earlier D2's and issues with the cables getting broken strands and they'd start to stick or break. Unlike other myth's related to TB's on our D2's I believe a lot of them are cable related or due to a TB plate that looks clean, but it actually isn't around the edges and it sticks.

I'd just get a new cable vs a used one (especially if your from up north or where they treat the roads). Then be worry free for a good long time.

The following users liked this post:
Virgil Grillone (06-05-2021)