Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise After Warmed Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I see you got safety Allen's, but never wired them together

Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all saftey wired together. The picture was taken before I wired them. Thats the only pictures I have. I should have taken more.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default stuff

How did you know which cyls to pin?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by me 2
How did you know which cyls to pin?
Most people pin all 8 cyl.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default stuff

Also, do you have any good links for info? Thanks

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know which sleeve was slipping so I pinned all of them. All of the write-ups I read said to pin all of them or at least as many as you can. I was able to get to all of them by taking off the oil pan, "Y" pipe, engine mounts and exhaust manifolds. Of course you need to use an engine hoist to support the engine w/ the mount out.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

00 discovery 2 4l. 225k

had a blown head gasket as i had low compression in cyl5. i pulled engine, heads etc, and found no steam cleaning in cyl5 and no evidence of head gasket failure. i did have coolant consumption and a ticking noise for a long time.

replaced the rings in cyl5, checked the heads and block and all were good...no warpage.

i pinned all 8 cyl, and replaced all bearings, main and rod found some wearing in all, and replaced all gaskets, timing chain and oil pump...oil pump was not broken as others have shown.

after reassembly, still get ticking only after engine is warmed up...i think the ticking maybe due to multiple reasons and not every disco will be the slipped liner. i would have sworn that mine was a slipped liner but no evidence at all of that on inspection. all liners were in place and the head gasket had not markings at all.

the rockers and pushrods were tight, there was no loose pushrods on inspection.

my thinking now is that maybe a lifter, or as other poster said a cam bearing is worn and no harm to engine to drive around...

i also checked cam for wear and all lobes were good.

so the conclusion to my story...it may be the liner or may not be...and i actually was the one who pulled the engine and took it apart.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (04-24-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 09:03 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by newworld
00 discovery 2 4l. 225k

had a blown head gasket as i had low compression in cyl5. i pulled engine, heads etc, and found no steam cleaning in cyl5 and no evidence of head gasket failure. i did have coolant consumption and a ticking noise for a long time.

replaced the rings in cyl5, checked the heads and block and all were good...no warpage.

i pinned all 8 cyl, and replaced all bearings, main and rod found some wearing in all, and replaced all gaskets, timing chain and oil pump...oil pump was not broken as others have shown.

after reassembly, still get ticking only after engine is warmed up...i think the ticking maybe due to multiple reasons and not every disco will be the slipped liner. i would have sworn that mine was a slipped liner but no evidence at all of that on inspection. all liners were in place and the head gasket had not markings at all.

the rockers and pushrods were tight, there was no loose pushrods on inspection.

my thinking now is that maybe a lifter, or as other poster said a cam bearing is worn and no harm to engine to drive around...

i also checked cam for wear and all lobes were good.

so the conclusion to my story...it may be the liner or may not be...and i actually was the one who pulled the engine and took it apart.
What did your rod and main bearings look like?
Were they worn out?
Chances are the cam bearings have the same amount of wear, and could be your noise.
They will also be a pain to do with the engine in, and the rear bearing will unfortunately be almost, if not impossible to replace with the engine in.
I chased a loud tick/tapping after warm up, and replaced parts individually and in groups, and worn bearings were my noise(rod, main, and cam).