Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
It doesn't fall into that category it must be something else. I guess i'll have to take it to the dealer.
edit: Perhaps using thicker oil will quiet it down a bit?
Do yourself a huge favor and don't take it to a dealer unless you want to waste, $1000's of dollars.
Might want to send me your tele number and lets talk about flushing your engine.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might also try a Seafoam treatment. If there is a valve gunked up, that's usually pretty good about freeing them up. Of course, that's included in the 60k mile service...

Old 06-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send out an oil sample. If there is a significant knock in your engine ther will be metal suspended in your oil, which kind is up to the lab to find out. 25 bucks will let you rest easy or know your motor is in for it.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do yourself a huge favor and don't take it to a dealer unless you want to waste, $1000's of dollars.
Might want to send me your tele number and lets talk about flushing your engine.
will do. Thanks a lot, i'm really starting to like this truck as much as i hated them (1. because i never drove one, 2. because i couldn't afford one.)

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryanD2
Send out an oil sample. If there is a significant knock in your engine ther will be metal suspended in your oil, which kind is up to the lab to find out. 25 bucks will let you rest easy or know your motor is in for it.
I was actually gonna change the oil to 10w40 since they(people in this forum) told me they like that viscosity oil and see if there's metal shavings inside the motor. I'm somewhat mechanical inclined, i'm going to school for automotive but don't have much experience on these cars so i'm paranoid.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LebaneseShowoff
I'm somewhat mechanical inclined, i'm going to school for automotive but don't have much experience on these cars so i'm paranoid.
There is nothing to be paranoid about, these trucks are the same as any other truck, a push rod engine is a push rod engine.

Since you are going to school for automotive repair? you will learn about EGR valves, well these trucks do NOT have them there fore you MUST use premium gas.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Mudding

Octane has no bearing on the need for an EGR valve. The egr valve's sole purpose is to controll NOX emissions, they are formed at combustion temps above 2500 degrees. Our trucks use three way cats, the rhodium element in the cats takes care of this harmful emission. The fuels in most other land rover friendly countrys it rite at 90 oct, this way they can get away with the most timing in our engines to make what power they can with this ancient platform of a V8. Lower octane fuels make our engine knock, so the comp backs the timing out, and over a period of time with insufficient buring of the mixture, all the nasty starts to build up in the top end of our engines.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check the cats. I have seen many rattle like a rod knock. With gloved hand hit each cat see if it rattles. Cold engine is best!!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

EGR's also cool the combustion temps correct? And using to low of a octane increases combustion temps?
That is what in was taught, they cool the combustion temps by recirculating exhaust gases back into the engine to get burned and a benifit of this is that they also reduce emissions.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Spike555; 06-29-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Mudding

Well thats close, its easier understand it cools rather than actually diluting the a/f ratio. Thing is that when you recirculate inert exhaust gas back into the cylinder, that gas cannot burn again and takes up space, leaning out the mixture in the chamber, where there is less heat created, thus keeping the burn temp below the 2500 degree mark where these NOX's are formed. The lower octane fuel raises the temp in our engine bc the timing is retarded and the mixture does not burn well with our chamber design, when the mixture is not rite, the head and piston cannot carry the heat away and get it in the water jackets. Then we have the extra heat.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise Disco 2