Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Anyone have a video with sound of a bad oil pump? I am not shy about taking the front cover off at all but my crank pulley was a TIGHT fit. I have a feeling I am going to regret having to use a mallet on it.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-15-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Camel Trophy

I slept on it and it is a nice day. I have some household (landscaping) duties and am feeling every one of my 49 years. But I'm going to have to take the engine out and put it on the stand.

I watched some videos last night and I don't want to believe it but it may be my new oil pump. Under normal circumstances I would just pull the main pulley and then the front cover but i have a problem: the main pulley is very tight on the crank. Tight enough that i had to use a mallet to get it on. There is no room for a puller in the engine bay and I am running out of ideas for what is causing the tapping, so out it will come. That will give me an opportunity to really spin the engine by hand and finally resolve this issue. Recalling that I had perfect pressure before the heads, and poor after, I just have to assume that something went wrong with the oil pump... Maybe the shocks to the crank did it in. Everyone says the most obvious things are usually the problem, so I am going to try that route.

Only one way to find out. If the engine straightens out, I am going to put the 4.0 pistons in it. If it doesn't, I'm just going to reinstall the 4.0.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-15-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Lucky break. I was able to get the main pulley off without removing the engine.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Lucky break. I was able to get the main pulley off without removing the engine.
The Rover gods bless you. The only break you have had with this whole catastrophe. I hope this is a sign of good things to come. Wish you luck buddy

Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I wish you guys lived closer. We'd have fun ripping and tearing.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah we need a Rover task force. I volunteer to be the first beneficiary!

Front cover off. Pump is perfect.

Has to be Crank or cam or flex plate. That's all that's left. I left the oil pan underneath to get the front cover off, but I'm going to remove it and turn the engine. If I can't find anything I am going to make a temporary retreat and put the 4.0 back in.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
The Rover gods bless you. The only break you have had with this whole catastrophe. I hope this is a sign of good things to come. Wish you luck buddy
Thanks Chubbs! I need it!

Wife wants me to get a new car and put the Rover in time out (garage, for another 5 years). She doesn't know me well!

Must

Not

Admit

Defeat.

If I admitted defeat my kids would end up enslaving me (more so than they have already). Dad code.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Was the bottom end rebuilt and who did the rebuilding?

Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Was the bottom end rebuilt and who did the rebuilding?
It was and I did. I obviously screwed something up in the bottom end. I've rechecked my work several times and can't find he issue. I've just decided to swap back to the 4.0.

It may be that while I'm pretty good at pulling the engine and swapping new parts in, building an engine might not be for me. I'm pretty exhausted from the process of all of these projects. I'll fix it, but I'm going to take time. I'll be sure and post here when I figure out what was making the tapping.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

It sounds like rod knock. Did you have the crank ground for oversize shells both mains and big end? It sounds like one is not getting oil so I wonder if a shell is spinning blocking the oil port? It would be obvious because there would be striation on the shell exterior and the tabs would be flush. Obviously it's not always blocking the oiling. With the oil pan off and the motor in place you could do a quick check on the rods by checking for cross (journal diameter) slop, any found and it's the culprit. Mains are a little tougher but removing the saddle would allow you to see what you need to.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE