Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Looks for like a floor drain than an oil pickup, no oil Preasure gauge?
Have to give you credit for fortitude
Thanks, Dro. I don't care so much about driving it as defeating it. My only hard deadlines come once a year for inspection and registration.

That pickup tube is an embarrassment, I agree. I'm sure that's the pressure issue but when I put it back together I'll get the pressure readings. It was reading low at idle.

ANY tips on cleaning the pickup tube other than using a dental pick? I cleaned it last time by blasting brake cleaner from the other end.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-20-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thanks, Dro. I don't care so much about driving it as defeating it. My only hard deadlines come once a year for inspection and registration.

That pickup tube is an embarrassment, I agree. I'm sure that's the pressure issue but when I put it back together I'll get the pressure readings. It was reading low at idle.

ANY tips on cleaning the pickup tube other than using a dental pick? I cleaned it last time by blasting brake cleaner from the other end.
Charlie, the low pressure issue is probably the ticking - the rockers ride on pressurized shafts, at low oil pressures there is more clearance and the rockers will tick on the shaft.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Extinct
Charlie, the low pressure issue is probably the ticking - the rockers ride on pressurized shafts, at low oil pressures there is more clearance and the rockers will tick on the shaft.
I am hoping that is right! If so, very easy fix. And that would explain why the ticking transcended head changes and rocker changes, and still sounds like it is coming from the rocker area. I wish I was observant enough to remember whether the ticking occurred (while driving) after I stopped at a light or something. Anyway, I am going to clean the screen and put it back together.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-20-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Almost got it done but the crank pulley is giving me trouble. Mine is a replacement pulley and it is TIGHT, so getting it lined up it really really difficult. Try again tomorrow. That's the last thing.

By the way I looked for a replacement pulley. Cheapest price for new I could find is 488 dollars. Wow! What the HECK?!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Heat the pulley and or pack the shaft in ice.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:23 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Heat the pulley and or pack the shaft in ice.
That's the plan (heat the pulley sleeve). I have to go get a new bottle of gas. But I'll have to beat the pulley off first. Too late and too loud for right now.

I'm going to be real careful with this pulley after seeing what a new one costs. Presumably there is no cure for the one that started pressing out the rubber. I do have one more but it is hiding somewhere in the garage.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Found my third pulley. It is in great shape. I got the second one off (not easy. Messed up my engine paint!! Ugh) and the third one is tight too. I tried both of them on another engine and the slide right on, so I basically have a slightly larger crank end on this engine. Nice. Of course I do! I put the pulley in the oven and am awaiting it's expansion.

I decided against using a torch because I don't want to chance ruining the front seal.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Found my third pulley. It is in great shape. I got the second one off (not easy. Messed up my engine paint!! Ugh) and the third one is tight too. I tried both of them on another engine and the slide right on, so I basically have a slightly larger crank end on this engine. Nice. Of course I do! I put the pulley in the oven and am awaiting it's expansion.

I decided against using a torch because I don't want to chance ruining the front seal.
Today is the day Charlie!!!! Do you feel it?
Can you do make some brownies or something on the shelf the pulley is not on?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Today is the day Charlie!!!! Do you feel it?
Can you do make some brownies or something on the shelf the pulley is not on?
Hahaha I am actually using both shelfs! I am baking both pulleys so I have options.

They are quite hot to hold, even with gloves.

I pulled one out and it immediately went halfway on, so there is something to it. I put it back in so it would bake all the way through. Now that I know how expensive pulleys are I googled and the can be rebuilt. Yay. I'm rich!

I turned the pickup tube over to my wife. She should get a job cleaning operating rooms because she never misses anything. The pickup tube looks new. Shining. Gleaming. I mean, even the tube itself which I didn't ask her to do. She made he front cover look new. I'm weighing the chances that she will agree to clean one part at a time until my entire collection (hundreds) look new.

Today is the day. I hope.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-21-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hahaha I am actually using both shelfs! I am baking both pulleys so I have options.

They are quite hot to hold, even with gloves.

I pulled one out and it immediately went halfway on, so there is something to it. I put it back in so it would bake all the way through. Now that I know how expensive pulleys are I googled and the can be rebuilt. Yay. I'm rich!

Today is the day. I hope.
It could just be me but I like my pulleys rare. Again thats just me

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE