Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening valve cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tightening valve cover gaskets

Can all the bolts be reached without taking anything apart? Motor was rebuilt about 3k miles ago but they are leaking. I suspect they just need to be cinched down a little? Fingers crossed.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
Can all the bolts be reached without taking anything apart? Motor was rebuilt about 3k miles ago but they are leaking. I suspect they just need to be cinched down a little? Fingers crossed.
Just the outer which are the ones that leak anyway. You'll need a 1/4" drive socket wrench with 12 point metric sockets, and an extender. I believe it's 8nm of torque.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks

Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

PCV valve mod done? without that they will start leaking again.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
mine dont, I dont have the pcv.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I think he means with a blocked PCV valve they're more likely to leak again and there is a mod by best4x4 stickied that can replace the (considered poor) British design with a different approach.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
mine dont, I dont have the pcv.
They will if you dont clean your valve cover baffle regularly.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
That is what happened to mine, because the OEM bolts on valve covers came loose, due to engine vibration. This is how I corrected the problem, which has worked 100% over past several thousand miles, and valve cover bolts remain tight: Most Rover guys try to tell you that your valve cover gaskets need to be replaced, but that is not true. The gaskets are synthetic rubber, and if not damaged for some reason, they will last forever, or close to it, as the rubber simply mashes down to seal any possible leaking, with no gasket sealing compound needed. What needs to be done, is to tighten up the valve cover bolts, so they don't come loose again. I didn't think much of the OEM cover bolts, so I went to hardware store, and bought new allen head bolts of correct length and threads as OEM. Also, I bought new old fashioned split spring lock washers to fit the allen head bolts. Because the top most, upper most, bolts on the valve covers cannot be reached, due to the intake manifold in the way, you cannot tighten these bolts, unless you first remove the intake manifold. However, that is not a problem, because the oil inside the valve covers does not pool up along that upper lip of the covers, it only pools up, to some degree, on the lower lip of the valve covers. So, simply install the new allen head bolts on the bottom ends of covers, with the new split lock washers, and tighten them. Using the allen head bolts makes them easy to reach, with allen wrench that is long enough to reach down on them. The split lock washers don't loosen up, until you loosen them with a wrench, so no more leaking. Works for me.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyrover
That is what happened to mine, because the OEM bolts on valve covers came loose, due to engine vibration. This is how I corrected the problem, which has worked 100% over past several thousand miles, and valve cover bolts remain tight: Most Rover guys try to tell you that your valve cover gaskets need to be replaced, but that is not true. The gaskets are synthetic rubber, and if not damaged for some reason, they will last forever, or close to it, as the rubber simply mashes down to seal any possible leaking, with no gasket sealing compound needed. What needs to be done, is to tighten up the valve cover bolts, so they don't come loose again. I didn't think much of the OEM cover bolts, so I went to hardware store, and bought new allen head bolts of correct length and threads as OEM. Also, I bought new old fashioned split spring lock washers to fit the allen head bolts. Because the top most, upper most, bolts on the valve covers cannot be reached, due to the intake manifold in the way, you cannot tighten these bolts, unless you first remove the intake manifold. However, that is not a problem, because the oil inside the valve covers does not pool up along that upper lip of the covers, it only pools up, to some degree, on the lower lip of the valve covers. So, simply install the new allen head bolts on the bottom ends of covers, with the new split lock washers, and tighten them. Using the allen head bolts makes them easy to reach, with allen wrench that is long enough to reach down on them. The split lock washers don't loosen up, until you loosen them with a wrench, so no more leaking. Works for me.
Would Nord lock washers be overkill?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Loctite or silicone on the threads is better than lockwashers imho.

Quick Reply: Tightening valve cover gaskets