Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new engine

My luck with this rig is something else. My rear main oil leak is finally fixed..1000 miles later, damn thing overheats, replaced t-stat, has not overheat yet with a 10 mile roadtest, but it appears the engine has exhaust leaking into the cooling system. Exhaust smell noted from coolant expansion tank. Misfire cylinder #3 and #4 are coming up, engine is running rough. Tick noise has gotten louder. Heavy white smoke also noted when I drove it again for 5 miles.
I am done trying to save the POS motor. I am ready to move on and get a new motor. What I would like is info from those of you who has replaced their motors recently. The last time I looked, a new motor (long block) was roughly $5 grand but forgot which company it was. I would like to know what kind of budget I need to put aside. I am not ready to give up on LR yet haha.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You are making a bad mistake, replace the head gaskets and while in there, there are other things for you to inspect.
By the way, a new long block is more then $5000.
Send me your number and lets talk options.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

HG job is like $200 - $300 parts, plus $200 machine shop for skimming the heads, replace valve seals. 15 hours for average mechanic, triple that for many of us, and a fewe very fast guys in under a day.

While open, look at lifters, exam cam for wear, being a D2 look at taking off front cover, then you can do front seal, oil pump, and new timing chain. For price of new engine you can get another truck.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Mudding

Hello all.. The headgaskets were done 10-15k miles ago. Lifters have been replaced 2x to attempt to cure the ticking noise. Rod bearings were also replaced in attempt to get rid of ticking noise. The ticking has gotten a lot worse and louder than before, not quite a knock. I don't know if it is worth taking the motor apart to repair. I will get it towed to my shop probably next week and take a closer look. But I think it doesn't look good this time. I am fortunate because most of the work done so far has been free labor.. but still a lot of time invested not to mention the parts costs also. I am tired of hearing from my guys "LR are POS..Bad design, bad car..and so on..the ridicule is getting out of hand. I am like a lot of you, always liked these trucks but never did buy one new for one reason or another. I got 2 of my brothers to get them as well, one is a 2000 the other is a 1998. Me with the newest one has the most issue. Frustrating really. Any how, I am just venting, I do want to keep this truck, and I will put a replacement motor in if needed, just maybe not right away. Oh, another thing, it is getting embarrasing to go to a drive thru with the ticking so damn loud

Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bosshogt
You're right, I got a quote from them earlier this year and was slightly over $5k shipped for a long block. Will see, maybe replacing with a 4.0 will be cheaper hehe