Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Take a file to the battery terminals where they come together at the ends allowing them to tighten on the terminals better.

Stop by autozone and have them test the battery.

ypu could also clean and check your grounds.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, update. Four days ago it was running fine other than the battery light. On my way to AutoZone to have the battery checked I stopped and got gas and then turned on the air conditioner. That's when warning lights flashed and the dash S and M lights and DRIVE indicator light on the shift lever box all came on and the vehicle went into limp mode. AutoZone tested the batter (still under warranty, purchased just 8 months ago) and said it showed a dead and bad battery. They replaced it and all was well other than the battery light staying on. A neighbor who happenes to work for an import car garage looked at it and said the battery light indicates a bad alternator. He said that would cause all kinds of indicator light problems. He also suggested I get mine rebuilt rather than go with after market. Does anyone have an opinion on trustworthy but les expensive than $300 Atlantic British models?

Amazon Amazon

Has anyone had issues with LActrical?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Do you have a ultra gauge ?
It displays live voltage you can monitor it

check your wiring as well

Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Take your alternator off and have it tested at advance auto.

I'll look at my local upullit for one.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric-
Ok, update. Four days ago it was running fine other than the battery light. On my way to AutoZone to have the battery checked I stopped and got gas and then turned on the air conditioner. That's when warning lights flashed and the dash S and M lights and DRIVE indicator light on the shift lever box all came on and the vehicle went into limp mode. AutoZone tested the batter (still under warranty, purchased just 8 months ago) and said it showed a dead and bad battery. They replaced it and all was well other than the battery light staying on. A neighbor who happenes to work for an import car garage looked at it and said the battery light indicates a bad alternator. He said that would cause all kinds of indicator light problems. He also suggested I get mine rebuilt rather than go with after market. Does anyone have an opinion on trustworthy but les expensive than $300 Atlantic British models?

https://www.amazon.com/LActrical-ALT.../dp/B007ZJ7Y44

Has anyone had issues with LActrical?
it does look like everything points to the alternator. but as suggested, get it tested at one of the chain auto parts stores. fortunately, these are pretty easy to replace.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

They rarely go out, I have had 12 discos and never had a bad one, I would not be afraid of getting a used one.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Today I removed the alternator and had it bench tested at Auto Zone. It failed. I ordered a rebuilt Bosch. I hope to have it Thursday. Having read about failing alternators it seems like this may have been the major culprit. I hope this takes care of a lot of issues. If nothing else I have learned way more about my vehicle than I ever thought I would. Here's to many more care free Land Rover miles.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Finally got the remanufactured Bosch alternator installed today. Drove the truck and the check engine light came on and it was running rough. Fault codes showed several misfires. WTF?!! I pulled over and checked the engine again. seems I had forgotten to reconnect one of the coils. I fixed that and everything drove fine for about 3 miles. When I was leaving a store I turned the lights on and the check engine light came on again. The fault code was P01663. Not sure what that means. I cleared the fault hoping the new alternator might be doing something and drove home. The engine ran fine, no battery or other warning lights and the so far no new fault codes.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Drifting

I just drove it about a mile and the check engine light came on but there are no fault codes. Is this a common occurrence? I looked on line and someone said it could mean a faulty diagnostic computer. I don't know if I trust that.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Ok. I can end this thread. have been distracted with other issues but finally solved my Service Engine Soon Light. Initially I had a flashing Service Engine Soon Light. Tried several thing. Over the last 6 months I have:

-Replaced all 4 O2 Sensors;
-Replaced Spark Plugs, Wires and Coils (relocated to the top of engine);
-Replaced alternator;
-Replaced faulty exhaust seal.

After all this the error code 0150 kept returning. I called Atlantic British to confirm new O2 sensors were under warranty. They shipped a new one, I swapped it in, cleared the fault light and it has stayed off. I have test driven it approximately 20 miles and it is still good. When I removed the old(er) O2 sensors it was very black. I don't know if that is an indication that the misfiring I experienced coated it so badly it could not function or if is just common to O2 sensors. At least it was the easiest of the 4 to get at.

So it appears for now I can continue to drive this wonderful vehicle while I shop for a new sports car.

Thanks to all who helped with advice.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (06-12-2019)