Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain cover

O.k., so the Rave says that before taking off the timing cover, remove the oil coolant pipe (if installed) It seems there is something still on the bottom left that is holding it or rather pulling it back as I try to work it off. It sucks back in when I let the screwdriver out. I have it loose all the way around so I know it is not a bolt. I haven't forced it because I don't want to break anything.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Item 16 in attached drawing? That would be the crank shaft seal, some have pulled it with a couple of wood screws... As you can see on pix, with oil gears removed, not much back there.

Attached Thumbnails Timing chain cover-30023360385_large.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cover.pdf (820.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes, that would make sense. I did not pull that seal off yet. It would explain why it sucks back when I let go but it seems to be tightest at the bottom left. I will pull the seal tonight. Mine wouldn't have the oil cooler pipe attached would it? I didn't see one. I did disconnect the pipe from the sump.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Not all D2 had an external oil cooler, only up thru a certain VIN number. The oil cooler perched with the tranny cooler, making a "fence" between the AC condenser and the main radiator. With oil pan off, clean out the pickup tube, replace the o-ring for it, and a dab of loctite on the bolts that go back in to hold the pickup tube. Post more pix, show people how to get r done!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Savannah, I don't think mine has the cooler then which just leaves the crankshaft seal holding it on. I like how the rave expects you to have a specialized tool just to remove and put one on. No, I didn't buy the tool Never thought I would be this deep in one of my cars but looking forward to getting it back together and driving it. Only drove it about 20 miles when I bought it before starting to tear it apart. Now I've got the sump off, driver's side exhaust manifold, spark plugs, and the timing cover. Oh, and the broken finger from taking the water hose off the water pump lol. Now if I can just get that drive shaft off to rebuild.

Thanks for being a constant resource on here for all of us who don't know what we are doing and learning as we go.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, mine did have the oil cooler.

Cover off, timing chain off, new timing chain on. Still have to finish cleaning off the cover, took it and sump and pressure washed some of the oil off. Now have to make sure I get all water out of oil pump area and reprime before I put it back on.

Now all that is left is putting everything back on.... timing cover, sump, exhaust manifold, plugs,

Then I have to take drive shaft off for rebuild see picture.... And then track down why I have no interior lights, along with the rest of Mike's list but at least then it will be driveable.

Last edited by robersonb; 11-17-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Manual oil PSI test while doing this? Inspect oil pump gears for cracks?