Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips on installing new set of struts and shocks

Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on installing new set of struts and shocks

I have a 97 discovery series 1. I'm planning on replacing my old struts and shocks. Do you guys have any tips on how to change it properly? thanks.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

first off, you don't have any struts. They are all shocks. The rear mounts tend to break off, so make sure and hit the nuts with some PB blaster a few times before you start.

The front shocks can be replaced by pulling the shock towers in the engine compartment. It helps if you jack that side all of the way up from the frame.

What brand are you going to go with? what kind of wheeling do you do?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Default tips on installing new set of struts and shocks

Just for clarification.
So for the front shocks, I'd have to take out the four/five bolts (inside the engine compartment ) and pull it out from there? What did you mean about jacking it all the the way up from the frame?

As far as brand go, I don't really do much wheeling that much most of the time i just take it for camping and hauling off some semi heavy duty stuff. What brand can you suggest? And do you know where's a good place to buy them? Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a very good write-up complete with pic's. He's installing OME's, but same routine reguardless of brand of shocks and springs. Every one has their fav brand, but OME and Rovertyme seem the most popular. British Pacific has some good prices on Terra Firma springs/shocks also.

http://www.4x4wire.com/rover/disco/tech/ome/

Last edited by kenk; 04-06-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Rave manual is in my sig. It has everything and is a free download.

Pulling the shock towers is the easiest way to get the front shocks out. When you are replacing one, if you jack up the truck and let that side of the axle hang, you don't have to compress the new ones as much getting them back in.

I got Bilsteins and love them. You can't jack it up after, so if you are considering a lift, I would go with OME. You can get the whole setup, 2" lift for under $700. Keep in mind that your factory springs are probably shot by now. I got my shocks for $150 on e-bay, I looked for deals a while. I also got new springs for $50. Granted, the rears were for $.99, but if you keep your eyes out, you can find some good deals.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Also, I believe that Lucky 8 may have a video on doing a D2, close enough to yours, so it will help you.
Whos shocks and springs are you planning on installing?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The Rave manual is in my sig. It has everything and is a free download.

Pulling the shock towers is the easiest way to get the front shocks out. When you are replacing one, if you jack up the truck and let that side of the axle hang, you don't have to compress the new ones as much getting them back in.

I got Bilsteins and love them. You can't jack it up after, so if you are considering a lift, I would go with OME. You can get the whole setup, 2" lift for under $700. Keep in mind that your factory springs are probably shot by now. I got my shocks for $150 on e-bay, I looked for deals a while. I also got new springs for $50. Granted, the rears were for $.99, but if you keep your eyes out, you can find some good deals.

What springs did you get? I've gotten great deals onclassic golf sets on ebay when no one else bids against me. I bought the ProComp ES9000 for my 97. The factory original springs were allowing it to sag pretty bad.

Bought two new but never installed rear OME springs and moved original factory rears to front as advised by my friend Rob who has had Discoveries for several years and done some pretty extreme off-roading.
He said that was common practise. I don't know if any of you may have done that, mine is working good, sits up nicely. Easy to get under now, could not before new set-up.

Oh yeah, right now Rover's North has a set of OME springs on their clearance listings for DI for $150 I think it was. And the set of ES9000 shocks, all 4 with boots and bushing for $189. Get new shock mounting rings so you have nice new hardware. They also have the OME heavy duty yellow shock mounting towers at a good price. That may be your best as far as cost-wise. Especially if you do the original rears on the front. If no one comes up with reason not to.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 AM
2nd Gear

Struts are an integral component of your vehicle’s suspension system, and kind of important if things like handling, stopping, and riding in comfort matter to you. To Installing a set of struts and shocks Visit here.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

This thread is almost 9 years old

Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I am 100% certain that he is an advertising bot.

Google Chrome will not let me see the website, must not be safe.

I'm glad his shocks are sober, though. (his name)