Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took her off road, learned some things.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Took her off road, learned some things.

Coming from the Jeep world, taking a Disco off road is a completely different experience. First lesson, smooth consistant throttle is the key to success. Second lesson, get better tires. Third lesson, four wheeling solves the three amigos.

What? Am I talking crazy talk? Maybe, I have no explanation. My three amigos have been on intermittently since I bought the Disco II a couple of months ago. Since they didn't affect it's driving, they are lower on the "to-do" list. Since she is running and driving like a champ, I decided to take her out to the high desert and go shooting today. The Amigos were glowing bright all day yesterday and this morning. As I got close to the off-road area, I stopped to fill up with gas and cheddar bratwurst. When we got back on the road, the they had decided to vamoose. I figured they'd come back soon.

So we are off road, doing a steep climb on uneven rocks. I expect to have the TC kick in and the Amigos show up as soon as it does. Instead TC kicks in (and kicks ***) and the Amigos stay away. We wheeled the rest of the afternoon with TC getting a decent workout. Then I went and did some running around.

They have stayed gone. No idea what's going on. I was planning on doing the "Option B" fix tomorrow, but maybe the ABS block just needed to be given a workout?

The following users liked this post:
NickAdams (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskembo
I stopped to fill up with gas and cheddar bratwurst. ....... maybe the ABS block just needed to be given a workout?
X2 on giving the SLABS unit a work out. I was thinking that when I saw the title of your post, before I even read it. The amigos will likely come back, I suspect.

X3 on the cheddar bratwurst. Love it!

Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes sense, give the pistons a workout. I think I have seen other posts talking about how many of the Rovers out there never see off road and so the pistons never move and eventually just get stuck. I say-more off roading, more bratwurst. I did the rebuild and it was not as much work as I thought it was going to be. I bought the parts from Falcon Works in Tucson AZ. super nice people. I think, and other members can corret me if I am wrong, the TC does not work when the three amigos are on.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Correct, TC does not work when the three amigos are on. Nor does ABS or HDC.

also, if you let your 3 amigos go long enough the SLABS will save a permanent fault code, meaning once you fix the issue you will then have to buy an ABS scanner to clear the codes before ABS, TC, and HDC will work again. If you fix it now then that wont be an issue.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Musta been the cheese bratwurst....

Old 07-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Correct, TC does not work when the three amigos are on. Nor does ABS or HDC.

also, if you let your 3 amigos go long enough the SLABS will save a permanent fault code, meaning once you fix the issue you will then have to buy an ABS scanner to clear the codes before ABS, TC, and HDC will work again. If you fix it now then that wont be an issue.
Hi, Once a fault has registered be it in SLABS, engine ECU, BCU or whatever AFAIK from experience you need to scan after the fix and clear the codes otherwise they are permanently resident and will appear every scan thereafter.

All of the TC, HDC and ABS (3 Amigos) will not work until all of the registered SLABS faults are corrected and codes cleared.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Musta been the cheese bratwurst...
Obviously this is the only correct conclusion that can be drawn from this little experiment.

Hi, Once a fault has registered be it in SLABS, engine ECU, BCU or whatever AFAIK from experience you need to scan after the fix and clear the codes otherwise they are permanently resident and will appear every scan thereafter.

All of the TC, HDC and ABS (3 Amigos) will not work until all of the registered SLABS faults are corrected and codes cleared.
I don't know if this is true (not doubting you), because mine have gone on and off since I've owned the Disco II and when I clear them they stay cleared until the next time they light up. I think it's an issue that will stay in SLABS if it is on for long enough, but doesn't automatically get stored as soon as it appears.