Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally locked out... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally locked out... HELP

I am completely locked out of my 99 Land Rover,

The battery went dead, so my remote does not work.
The key lock on driver side does not latch on. When I insert the key it just turn left and right freely with no tension so something fell off the latch/lock mechanism.

So i can't pop the hood, to charge the battery. Any emergency release for hood???? without going inside rover?

Can i quickly give power to the batter via jumping it somewhere under the car where a live positive is located (+)....... I can ground it anywhere, its just the live wire that i can't get too without opening the hood.

I dont think i can pry open the door a little to get a coat hanger to open door from inside????????

just my luck

ANY IDEAS??????

My only thinking now is i will have to smash the rear driver vent window (which is the smallest glass) about $40-50 for repair.

Thank you.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

My worst nightmare. Almost happened to me, but I soldered a button on my busted remote and got it to work.

You might try prying the rear cargo window, it seems to be the easiest to remove, but you will have to use plastic panel tools so you don't scratch the paint. The rear cargo window is definitely the easiest to replace, so if you break one, go with that(my opinion). The small rear door window means you have to remove the window frame to replace.

Someone with more electrical experience might be able to walk you through charging the battery from the cable on the starter.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinn519
I am completely locked out of my 99 Land Rover,

The battery went dead, so my remote does not work.
The key lock on driver side does not latch on. When I insert the key it just turn left and right freely with no tension so something fell off the latch/lock mechanism.

So i can't pop the hood, to charge the battery. Any emergency release for hood???? without going inside rover?

Can i quickly give power to the batter via jumping it somewhere under the car where a live positive is located (+)....... I can ground it anywhere, its just the live wire that i can't get too without opening the hood.

I dont think i can pry open the door a little to get a coat hanger to open door from inside????????

just my luck

ANY IDEAS??????

My only thinking now is i will have to smash the rear driver vent window (which is the smallest glass) about $40-50 for repair.

Thank you.
Been there, done that, got the 'T' shirt. Don't break the side window yet, done that it's a real PITA.

Can you crawl under the LR and see the starter terminals? If you can the starter is directly attached back to the battery. Attach a battery, preferably a smaller battery, to the live terminal and one to the negative or chassis. (check it out but it should be negative earth) Ensure you attach the correct way round to each terminal otherwise you cause yourself BIG problems. Once attached to a battery the key fob should be able to open the doors and then you can open the hood. Charge up your battery or jump start the truck and let it run without any lights, heater A/C or anything else electrical on. Remember to fully charge the battery overnight afterwards.

Alternatively, attach a battery charger to the starter terminals and open the doors on the key fob. Then charge up the battery or jump start the truck. Good luck.

PS. Oh, breaking the rear door glass as I did is the last resort and it'll cost you a few $$$$ and a lot of work cleaning up broken glass and fitting a new glass window even if you tape the existing glass with tank tape first, I'm speaking from experience.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most tow truck companies or cops can open a door with slim jim or whatever it's called....your insurance might even cover it.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:40 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default similair problems

Well im not having the exact same issues but I fear it might be next
I recently bought my 99 disco 2 and the previous owners said the battery died and he re charged it,....didn't think anything of it until I got home and realized the FOB didn't work, it lights up but doesn't seem to lock or unlock the vehicle, also if I put the key in the door lock it too just turns left and right with no resistance or lock/unlocking. The car will start and the door locks work from the inside, any ideas why the FOB isn't linking with the vehicle?
Cheers

Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

run the jumper cables to your starter, it my give you enough power to unlock the doors

Old 10-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
Most tow truck companies or cops can open a door with slim jim or whatever it's called....your insurance might even cover it.

Not if it's super locked they won't without ripping the door off. There's nothing, no power, to activate the lock solenoid so you can't raise the buttons. As for insurance, maybe in the US but not in europe they will tell you to go whistle as it's your own fault.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Not if it's super locked they won't without ripping the door off. There's nothing, no power, to activate the lock solenoid so you can't raise the buttons. As for insurance, maybe in the US but not in europe they will tell you to go whistle as it's your own fault.
While you are mentioning super lock...any way to disable super lock? So my truck can't be super locked? My wife has a habit of pressing the lock button twice that I can't break her of. I'm afraid I'm going to run into a nightmare lock out one of these days.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

reprograming the ecu is the easiest way

Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
reprograming the ecu is the easiest way
With a nanocom or hawkeye I'm guessing?

I guess I need to put in an order for that with Santa.

Quick Reply: Totally locked out... HELP