Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a 2000ish Disco 2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Towing with a 2000ish Disco 2?

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a tow rig to pull around 5k-6k. Aside from fuel economy, what's the concensus on towing with a LR Disco II? Other vehicles on my radar are a Suburban with a 454 or 6.5 turbo diesel... but I'm honestly not a huge fan of something THAT big.

I'd be looking for one with the jump seats in the far back - how rare are those to find?

I do all of my own work on cars and all of the complaints I see about these breaking are from people bringing them into the dealer for service every time...

Thoughts? Should I stay away? I have always liked the looks, and I -almost- purchased one a few years back, but opted for a Jeep... which is now long gone.

Dave aka Ghan

Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

That probably exceeds the towing capacity of the Disco, unless you are driving around in low range all the time. The 7 seater is probably the best option, because in North America all of the 7 seaters came with Self Leveling Suspension, using air springs in the back. If the system is still functioning, it should give you a better towing experience. So I hear. Heck, you can even get a special remote programmed that will allow you to raise and lower the back end to ease hooking up the trailer.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it will tow that much, if you have brakes on your trailer.

Here is a link to the chart from the owner's manual:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...one-yet-44259/

Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would definitely have trailer brakes. That's awesome news! Thanks for the link, I searched several times before giving up. I was looking for towing capacity, next time maybe I'll look for boats! :P

Dave

Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I tow a 2 place snowmobile trailer with mine (probably 2,000 lbs) and I would want a larger vehicle with more power if I were to tow anything much heavier. Also you'll definitly want trailer brakes to tow that much.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you know, not all the SE7 had the rear air suspension. My 2003 does not.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Then someone converted it to coils or added the rear seats. All NAS 7 seaters have SLS.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Wrong, not all SE7's came with SLS, or ACE, it was still an option.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to weigh in on this, just because I tow stuff for a living. I personally would NOT use this vehicle for towing that much weight.

Here is why: towing, as you know, puts a good bit of strain on engines, transmissions, etc. By the time you properly modify your cooling systems in both the engine and driveline, you could buy a good used diesel, and get a LOT better mileage.

This engine towing something of that size is going to get about 7mpg. Ford's 5.4L v-8 towing that load gets about 8.5-9. Couple that with your need for PREMIUM gas, ($4.03 around atlanta right now) and that is going to be one hell of a fuel bill.

Also - towing that big a load with a car like this is just flat not safe. A load that size moving at highway speeds has a ton of potential energy and momentum, and will push the tow vehicle around badly in the event of an emergency.

And it doesn't matter how good a driver YOU are - the problem is the moron on his cell phone, texting, driving, starbucks on his lap, yelling at the kids in the back - they can ruin your morning in a hurry. Jerking the wheel, locking up your trailer brakes, a little jack-knife push on the rear axle of these cars at highway speeds, and you're going a$$ over teakettle into the ditch/hospital/morgue.

I see a LOT of accidents with people towing with improper vehicles. For a load that size, get a good used work truck, (my personal favorite are the late 90's and early 2000's fords with the 7.3L), tune it, and watch yourself tow a load that size safely and with 16-18mpg. Even the delta in fuel will pay for itself over time. Parts are plentiful and cheap, and most importantly, you will be SAFE ON THE ROAD in it with that load.

If you want a disco, get one. I love mine. They're awesome trucks, and will do anything you want within reason, but please don't put 2.5 tons behind one and go down the road. There are better ways to make the 5 o'clock news.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 2000ish Disco 2?