Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a 2000ish Disco 2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
I'm going to weigh in on this, just because I tow stuff for a living. I personally would NOT use this vehicle for towing that much weight.

Here is why: towing, as you know, puts a good bit of strain on engines, transmissions, etc. By the time you properly modify your cooling systems in both the engine and driveline, you could buy a good used diesel, and get a LOT better mileage.

This engine towing something of that size is going to get about 7mpg. Ford's 5.4L v-8 towing that load gets about 8.5-9. Couple that with your need for PREMIUM gas, ($4.03 around atlanta right now) and that is going to be one hell of a fuel bill.

Also - towing that big a load with a car like this is just flat not safe. A load that size moving at highway speeds has a ton of potential energy and momentum, and will push the tow vehicle around badly in the event of an emergency.

And it doesn't matter how good a driver YOU are - the problem is the moron on his cell phone, texting, driving, starbucks on his lap, yelling at the kids in the back - they can ruin your morning in a hurry. Jerking the wheel, locking up your trailer brakes, a little jack-knife push on the rear axle of these cars at highway speeds, and you're going a$$ over teakettle into the ditch/hospital/morgue.

I see a LOT of accidents with people towing with improper vehicles. For a load that size, get a good used work truck, (my personal favorite are the late 90's and early 2000's fords with the 7.3L), tune it, and watch yourself tow a load that size safely and with 16-18mpg. Even the delta in fuel will pay for itself over time. Parts are plentiful and cheap, and most importantly, you will be SAFE ON THE ROAD in it with that load.

If you want a disco, get one. I love mine. They're awesome trucks, and will do anything you want within reason, but please don't put 2.5 tons behind one and go down the road. There are better ways to make the 5 o'clock news.

This is excellent advice, couldn't have said it better myself.

I have a CDL and can drive commercial trucks and I've seen numerous accidents involving people towing with improper equipment. Do yourself and other motorists a favor and tow safely. It's not worth overloading your tow rig just to save time and money, risking your own life and the lives of others on the highway. I always keep a tow rig in my vehicle inventory for moving my trailer. My current tow rig is a 07 Dodge Ram Cummins dually that I bought new. It's only got 28k miles on it as it's only purpose is to transport goods, vehicles, and move my trailer from point A to point B. Granted my Disco 2 SE7 with SLS has a tow package, I wouldn't tow with it unless it was a really light load.

This is my tow rig with my last load bringing my harley and old chevy from my old place in LA to Vegas. Truck, trailer, and load weighed in at 16,500. The truck handled it like it was unloaded, and you could hardly feel the trailer back there. I think I only had to down shift out of 6th once on Cajon pass.

I also agree with the ford 7.3 Powerstruggle as a good cheap tow vehicle, I had a 97 F250 PSD before the ram. I racked up just under 400k miles on it before I retired it.

Last edited by 04SSHD; 03-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice rig.

Not my style on the wheels, but looks good, and I know those Cummins motors will tow like hell. Wish they'd put one in a ford......

I'm also a fan, funds permitting, of always having a dedicated tow vehicle, ideally that is NOT a DII.

Stick an ATS propane injector on that Cummins and it'll ease over Cajon Pass without breaking a sweat. In 6th, with more behind it than a car. Prolly get 22-23 mpg liquid fuel at the same time. Just don't overheat your valves.

My 7.3L with the superchips DPI will tow a 10K log load over the Blue Ridge mountains in 6th all day long. Just have to downshift when it's hot outside for EGT's. Oh, and put a better clutch in it!

Anyway, back to the original point of this thread, Dave - either get a truck for towing, or sell that Suzuki and get a disco - you can mod it a bit and it'll wheel all day long and get you to work & back in style to boot!

And you can have the pleasure of owning not a vehicle, but a hobby. And the phrase "you need ANOTHER part for that stupid thing??!!" will be heard in the house. Frequently. Part of the package. Maybe Savannah knows which RAVE page details the spousal cooling system, parts 1-4......

Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
Nice rig.

Not my style on the wheels, but looks good, and I know those Cummins motors will tow like hell. Wish they'd put one in a ford......

I'm also a fan, funds permitting, of always having a dedicated tow vehicle, ideally that is NOT a DII.

Stick an ATS propane injector on that Cummins and it'll ease over Cajon Pass without breaking a sweat. In 6th, with more behind it than a car. Prolly get 22-23 mpg liquid fuel at the same time. Just don't overheat your valves.
Thanks, as for the wheels there's not a whole lot of options for duallys. I opted for the semi Alcoa's route. I get tons of compliments on them, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but at long as I'm content with them that's all that matters.

I've seen the propane injection kits, haven't really found the need for one. I've got a tuner, the truck dyno'd at 445hp/907ft lbs. With that power, the stock clutch went rather quickly. It's got a Southbend Dual Disk now , and not to mention the 24mpg highway is a plus. I got 17 pulling that load.