Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer brake controller wiring help.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer brake controller wiring help.......

Hey everyone. New to the forum with our new 1999 disco II. I have a question about trailer wiring. I have searched about installing an electric trailer brake controller, but I am kind of confused. Our truck has the factory 7 round plug on it. It says Land Rover on the cover, butI believe it has been converted to Americanized wiring. I spliced into the connector(literally took it apart and put the 4 flat wires into the plug itself, not just cut and splice) and noticed it has the red and blue wires for trailer brakes. I read in a different post that you have to actually run a wire back to the plug from the controllerto have the trailer brakes, but it already has the wires running from what looks like where it plugs in behind the right tail light. I ammechanically inclined and was just curious what exactly I have to do to get the trailer brakes back. BTW, I pull a 16' utility trailer and this thing pulls it with hardly any problems. It just doesnt like pulling up steep hills. I appreciate any help on this matter.

Preston

Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Trailer brake controller wiring help.......

Your trailer has brakes then?
You might need to suck it up and take it to a trailer shop.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only the 05s and newer have the factory wiring for the trailer brakes. There is a 30 amp aux power going to your socket in the tailite it is the purple wire. If they have wired the blue wire in the plug at the hitch it is not for your brakes and will not work. If you have your brake controller mounted in your cab than all you have to do is connect the blue wire from the controller to the plug at the hitch. If you don't have the controller it is very easy to do yourself it just takes a little time. I wired my controller up and I tow a 21 ft travel trailer. The disco does quite well with this task and the brakes work perfect. By the way get a proportional controller it is a few dollars more and saves wear on both the vehicle brakes and the trailer by only applying enough power to the trailer brakes to match the loss of momentum. I fyou need any help wiring the controller just PM me and I will be glad to help. Am going camping tomorrow up in the poconos and will check back in on Sun. or Mon. Good Luck!!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply seaosrover. I wired it up already by running the blue wire to the trailer plug. It already had the Land Rover 7 round plug, but I could not find an adapter for it to a 7 round RV plug, so I replaced the old corroded Land Rover plug with a new 7round RV plug. I do not have the ACE( Ithink that is what the cornering system is called) and I dont have the rear leveling so I had 2 open spots where those relays went that I used for power to the controller and power to the plug for the breakaway battery charger. I wired in 30 amp fuses to both and just usaed a standard crimp on spade male connector to plug into the hot side of the relay plug. I pull a 16 foot utility trailer and the controller I have ued for 3 yeaers now works just like it always has. It is not theinertia controller, but I would really like to get oneeventually.