Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default trailer brakes

Has anyone wired them up??

I'd love some pics and ideas.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you talking about the brake controller or the wiring on the trailer itself?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Here you go:
Land Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Trailer Wiring Harness

This video is for the flat-4.... but the installation is similar for the 7-prong trailer brake version:

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well for the controller to start. I have the light harness behind the tail light but it doesn't work so that probably needs to be worked out but I have no idea where to start.

I've only installed a controller on my Silverado and that was a simple plug and play

Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Does that operate the brakes or just lights?? This trailer weights about 4500 lbs so brakes are a must

Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jalodge
This is great! Any controllers that fit well in the discovery?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't have one in the Discovery but I used this(https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/39510.html) in the truck to pull a camper and haven't had any problems for the year I have had it. We took it from here to the Grand Canyon and back this summer and it worked perfectly. I got it from e-trailer which had very good prices plus great customer service and fast shipping. The truck was just plug and play but it doesn't look to hard to hard-wire it.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Three Wheeling

I did this this last spring. It was a fun project, but had a lot of steps.

For the brake controller I just bought a tekonsha that they sold at the local RV store. I mounted the controller right there under the lower dash area by the hood release. It seems like it would get in the way at first, but it never does. My legs haven't hit it once, the angles just work out. I had to experiment a lot of times seeing how I actually climbed into the seat to find the perfect spot where it doens't hit but still is within reach while driving in case I need to activate the brakes. (PM me if you want some pics)

To wire it, I did whatever the instructions said on the brake controller. Which said to hook it up to the negative side of the brake switch and to the battery. So I had to send a wire to the battery in the engine cell through the fire wall. I found a nice grommet to push it through on the passenger side. Then I had to send the wire all the way back snaking it through the carpet to my rear right tail light, where it met up with my lighting harness.

For the lighting wiring harness:
I had a flat four pin connector installed prior to purchasing the vehicle but the Atlantic British converter that goes in the right rear tail light had failed (confirmed with a test light)!!! so I bought a generic one from walmart and then wired that into a 7 pin round connector. This worked really well once I got it right. For a while I was just trying to bypass the broken Atlantic British converter and wire it right into my 7 pin harness, but then I got smart and realized that the wires that activated my two blinkers also activated the brake lights. I needed the tail light converter from walmart to make sure all the lights worked properly.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.