Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Harness Wiring - Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Harness Wiring - Brakes?

Hello all,

I recently bought a horse trailer for my Disco II to pull and I'm re-wiring my own version of a 7 way European trailer plug adapter to a 6 way round American adapter for my trailer. My Disco II has the factory installed 7 way round plug, is one of the connections to the brakes or do I have to have a brake controller installed? I'm just wondering since my horse trailer weighs about 2,200 lbs empty and it has it's own brakes and in this hilly country, I definitely need the brakes on the trailer... Please help!!!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My understanding is that the trailer brakes come on when the brakes are applied, using the same wire as brake lights? Mine has a 4-flat connector and the Uhaul trailer brakes have worked when I went to pick up parts trucks. Hope this helps

Old 10-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You will need a brake controller which can modulate the electric brakes. I use a Prodigy with the boost selector which isn't too picky on alignment for the inertia control. The LR trailer wiring separates the brake and turn signals, unlike the standard US wiring which has the brake lights interrupted by the turn signals. To keep it simple, I've added an extra set of lights to my trailers for the brakes, eliminating the need for a converter. I also swapped to a nine pin to accommodate the trailer brakes.

The following users liked this post:
LandyLoverMissouri (10-04-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe! Are you saying you have rented a U-Haul trailer and had no issues with the electrical matching up? I am asking because I need a small trailer to haul hay, and I hear I will need to change the electrical on one or the other as they will not be compatible :-(

Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cammyr01
Joe! Are you saying you have rented a U-Haul trailer and had no issues with the electrical matching up? I am asking because I need a small trailer to haul hay, and I hear I will need to change the electrical on one or the other as they will not be compatible :-(
Yep. Mine has the factory wiring. Worked fine with the car hauler trailer

cammyr01 (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented a U-Haul trailer last Friday to haul hay with my Landy and it worked perfectly. However, my Landy has the factory installed 7 pin round that came with an OEM adapter to a 4 flat (which is what the U-Haul trailers need). What kind of electrics are on yours?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LandyLoverMissouri
I rented a U-Haul trailer last Friday to haul hay with my Landy and it worked perfectly. However, my Landy has the factory installed 7 pin round that came with an OEM adapter to a 4 flat (which is what the U-Haul trailers need). What kind of electrics are on yours?
Both of our 03s have 4 flats. Maybe they aren't factory?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It doesn't matter how many pins or what plugs your rover is equipped with - it still requires a brake controller to apply current to the brake wires on the plug(s) based on the amount of deceleration from the rig.

From what I had gathered, I wasn't aware of a factory-installed brake controller harness for DII's like the LR3 / LR4s - but I may be totally mistaken.

Either way - even if you get the lights working, the brakes are a totally different issue.

Joe! is totally wrong about the brakes activating "automatically" with lights, brakes aren't on or off - that would be totally ridiculous - people would be flying through the windshield when you gently tapped the pedal. They require a controller which uses an accelerator to determine brake "gain" - which can also be overridden on controller in an emergency.

Joe! (10-06-2016)