Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny hiccup i think???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tranny hiccup i think???

left the house tonight and when i left a stop light about 3 miles from home the tranny seemed to shift from 1st to 4th in about 30ft which bogged the engine. i pulled into a parking lot and shut er down. no lights poped up or anything.

started back up and put the tranny in every gear from park to 1 and back. put in drive and drove away and was fine. no burning smell. no drips or leaks from tranny or lines.

im guessing a bit low on fluid and in need of a tranny service anyways. new filter is on order and have fluid waiting.

let me know if there is anything electrical i should be looking at.

only change from yesterday to today is i parked backwards on a steep slope overnight so maybe i starved the torque converter?

what do you guys think?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this sounds very interesting to say the least, I am excited to see what the outcome is..

Keep me posted please!

Regards,

Old 03-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you use you ebrake when u park on hills?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
you use you ebrake when u park on hills?

yes i do. but,,, even when i do it still will roll a few inches depending on direction i am parked.

like i said though i warmed the rig and drove away and all was fine. stopped at a light and when i pulled away it felt like the tranny was slipping and it shifted from 1-2-3-4 very quickly or at least thats what i saw by watching the rpms drop on the tach in blocks 3 times. then it was like i had all of about 50hp to move the rig from the intersection to the lot. was jerky and clunky while i drove in the lot.

shut it down and looked around under the rig. nothing!!! no drips or burning smells. fired up and drove fine after. and no lights or chimes.

so other then the possibility of being a bit low on fluid i am at a loss.

like i said i never park on steep hills, but last night i did. only change in my habits for the last year.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Service the tranny, do a drain and fill cause a filter is not needed on the 60K. If you still have issues, send me your number and I'll call you.
Might also consider putting a bottle of Lucas tranny additive in along with your new dextron, if you have a valve or solenoid sticking, this will free it up.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Service the tranny, do a drain and fill cause a filter is not needed on the 60K. If you still have issues, send me your number and I'll call you.
Might also consider putting a bottle of Lucas tranny additive in along with your new dextron, if you have a valve or solenoid sticking, this will free it up.
thanks mike,,,

the last time i had a issue like this was on my 69' el camino with a turbo 350 tranny. but that was easy to sort.

i have not dealt with many modern trannys with electronic shifting as i usually will have driven manuals up until the rover.

but my gut tells me it needs a service and so does your brain.