Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer blows when shifting between D and R

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default transfer blows when shifting between D and R

I bought a used'94 3.9 Disco I. It was wrecked when I bought it. It has some damages in the front side of the fenders and it seems that the car hit a rock with the front axle because the steering bars were damaged.

The problem I have now is this: When I shift between drive and R, I hear a huge blow in the transfer, and I went down and checked the problem, I saw that exactly when R or D are engaged, the front propeller shaft rotates between 45 and 90 degrees, but the rear propeller does not rotate.
The rotation of the front propeller is very, very quick, and it seems that the front diff is "disconnected" while the propeller is rotating, but then, the diff connects and the propeller immediately stops turning and then the huge blow appears. The whole car shakes!

Is it possible to have a problem with my fron diff? Anyone here had a similar experience?

Thanks a lot!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: transfer blows when shifting between D and R

First, what do you mean by "blows"?
You can have a damaged front or rear diff, bad you joints or an internal t/case issue.
Try dropping of the drive shafts, either one, and then dry going from reverse to drive while the t/case is locked, see what happens.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transfer blows when shifting between D and R

By blow, I mean that I hear a noise like hitting the transfer with a very big hammer... My mechanic took out the transfer and replaced the transfer mainshaft and also took out the gearbox and he only found a piece that was worn out and I had to replace. When he put again the boxes, the blow was still there. I am going to try to take a video of the problem and will post it in youtube for you to get a better idea of the problem.

Thanks for your reply...