Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case alarm. Truck wont start and key stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Transfer Case alarm. Truck wont start and key stuck.

So I replaced a blown transfer case recently. Everything is buttoned back up, but now I've got issues.

The truck makes now effort to turn over and battery is fine. The Transfer Case alarm starts flashing. And the key will not come out of the ingniton. The shifter is functioning as it shoud and the indicator light says its in Park.

Watch the video, this is cold start and nothing happens turning the key.

What could cause this?? I assume its electrical, and I have heard about the solenoid in the sterring column, but I have never had this issue before so I don't think thats the problem.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Can wiring connected incorrectly on the transfer case prevent the truck from starting?

Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you shift into neutral (transmission) will it start?
If not, also shift tcase into neutral or low and try.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Question Solenoid issue?

So I have been working the truck to get the transfer case shifter to go into H... It will not.. It will go into low and neutral, but not High...

The truck will flash the T-Case Alarm and chime and the key will not come out of the ignition... If I get the T-Case shifted into Low, the chime will stop and the key will then come out of the ignition.. However, it still will not allow me to start the truck..

I also took the steering console apart and can unplug the switch on top of the ignition.. This will also allow me to remove the key, but it still will not start..

What is causing the engine to not start?? Can the T-Case solenoid cause the engine to do nothing when I turn the key?? The battery is charged.

Should I take the solenoid off the T-Case?? What are the issues with that??

Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Dunno about the engine not starting. Have you tried dropping the transmission in neutral and rolling the truck while trying to get the transfer case in high?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Notice your traction control, abs and check engine lights are on, were they on before transfer case swap? If not, are you getting any codes now? If the key isn't being allowed to turn to the off position, I'd assume you'd get a code of some sort...or solenoid is bad. Have you slid underneath and jumped the posts on the starter, just to see if it starts?

Brian.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Rock Crawling

WE pulled the truck with a lawnmower and attempted to shift it into H.. still only gets into L...

The 3 Amigos went off about a month before the T-Case fried from having leaked all of its oil out... (my fault)

I'm going to try and directly hit the starter today with a jumper box..

I have otherwise never had any problems with shifting, starting, or key stuck issues like this...

I will run the code scanner today as well...

Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Service Engine light is on, but there are no codes stored on the ECU..

Old 11-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Got it to start!

We pulled the relay and jumpered it, and the truck started right up! We switched out the relay with another one and the truck would not start. Continuity tests show both relays are the same whcih I assume means they are good..

Is there a kill switch or alarm issue causing this?? Can I troubleshoot alarm issues??

Old 11-22-2017, 03:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

After repalcing the engine in our 03, the key was stuck in the ignition...but that was because a rat bastard mouse had chewed the wires going to the XYZ trans switch (where they run up through the console). But, I got a trans code, indicator on dash said it was in drive and flashing (it was just stuck in limp mode, 3rd gear and key wouldn't come out of ignition)...but it still started.

You don't have any codes, dash indicator says it's in park, fresh battery...but it won't start while turning the key...that's the weird part to me. Really don't know of any reason the transfer case would have anything to do with it not starting by the key or keeping you from removing the key? So, maybe it is an alarm issue? I believe there is some sort of sequence you can do with an extra key in the drivers door lock, 1 time R - 5 times L-1 time right -5 times L, back and forth, that will return things to normal...but I've only read about it.

Granted, you still have the issue of the transfer case not going into high. This would concern me immensely...since you'll eventually need it. Are you sure the cable is moving freely? Try lubing the living daylights out of it, at each end. If you position yourself just right underneath, you can get lube on the transfer case end by shooting lube between the nose cone and the body of the transfer case. I know it's a bastard to get to, but I'd disconnect the cable and see if I could move it by hand.

Also, do a search...but I also believe I read that there is a solenoid on the high-low shifter that can become an issue...but I'm not a hundred percent sure about it...and don't want to send you on a wild goose chase. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows for sure.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case alarm. Truck wont start and key stuck.