Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer case help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case help!!!!

I have a 2001 Discovery 2. I parked it on an incline going down. *fter I got back in the truck I put it in reverse and it started making a loud thumping and vibration noise. I had a friend look at it and he though it was the front drive axel so he removed the front drive shaft. It still thumped and the truck didn't move, lol. He put it back together and it was the same it was before removing the drive shaft. Then he removed the plug from the transfer case and it was covered in metal shavings. I called the repair shop and the quote to replace the transfer case with a used one was over 2 grand! what I'm wondering is if there is someplace I can buy a rebuild kit, the chain and gears? If so does anyone know where and if there is a diagram I can find to help rebuild it?
Thanks guys,
Tom

Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a deep breath...all will be well...

Go check out this link: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70773

Marty is a well known supplier of used Rover parts. Assuming he still has a bunch of these laying around, you can replace your old t/c for approx $100 + shipping and installation.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Drifting

Thanks Dave, I called Marty and he does have some left. And he's only about 1.5 hrs away from me! Which works out great! I appreciate your help. Its still a used transfer case, but for the price you cant beat it!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, don't jump into a new t/case. It is normal to have metalic mud on the magnetic drain plug, if though you have chunks of metal, that is a different story.
If you send me your number I will walk you through engaging your t/case so you can try driving on the rear shaft only. Have you checked the rear roto-flex to see if it is cracked between the 6 bolts?
Get back to me.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
Take a deep breath...all will be well...

Go check out this link: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70773

Marty is a well known supplier of used Rover parts. Assuming he still has a bunch of these laying around, you can replace your old t/c for approx $100 + shipping and installation.

SEVERE THREADJACKING ALERT. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Are you talking about Marty Powell aka Drillbit from Glasgow, KY? That guy is a complete shyster, I have some serious sour grapes with him. Here's what happened:

1. I called him and ordered a caliper, rotor (said he had an almost new one laying around) and an abs sensor for my D2.
2. I Paypal-ed him $110.
3. I waited two weeks...
4. I called him. I mean I called his voicemail.
5. I emailed him.
6. I called his voicemail again.
7. After another week, I called his voicemail again and threatened a Paypal dispute.
8. After three more days I tracked him down on Dweb and PM-ed him.
9. He called me 1 hour later, apologized, said he'd ship the products immediately.
10. I waited a week, then 10 days.
11. I opened a paypal dispute.
12. I waited two days. No reply so I escalated it to a claim.
13. One day later Paypal said he'd provided them with a shipping confirmation number. How nice.
14. Box showed up on my door the next day, overnighted. How nice. More than a month later.
15. Opened the box, every item was for a freaking D1. Caliper, sensor, rotor, none fit my D2.
16. Emailed him twice told him I would send the parts back if he would refund my money OR he could just send me other D2 parts. A week later received another D1 ABS sensor. Is this guy on drugs?

He still won't answer my calls, emails nothing. Is that honesty? I'm legitimately bummed that I can't use him as a parts source. And I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I lost $110.

On a totally unrelated note, I have two D1 rear sensors, a rear caliper and a rotor for sale cheap.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
SEVERE THREADJACKING ALERT. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Are you talking about Marty Powell aka Drillbit from Glasgow, KY? That guy is a complete shyster, I have some serious sour grapes with him. Here's what happened:

1. I called him and ordered a caliper, rotor (said he had an almost new one laying around) and an abs sensor for my D2.
2. I Paypal-ed him $110.
3. I waited two weeks...
4. I called him. I mean I called his voicemail.
5. I emailed him.
6. I called his voicemail again.
7. After another week, I called his voicemail again and threatened a Paypal dispute.
8. After three more days I tracked him down on Dweb and PM-ed him.
9. He called me 1 hour later, apologized, said he'd ship the products immediately.
10. I waited a week, then 10 days.
11. I opened a paypal dispute.
12. I waited two days. No reply so I escalated it to a claim.
13. One day later Paypal said he'd provided them with a shipping confirmation number. How nice.
14. Box showed up on my door the next day, overnighted. How nice. More than a month later.
15. Opened the box, every item was for a freaking D1. Caliper, sensor, rotor, none fit my D2.
16. Emailed him twice told him I would send the parts back if he would refund my money OR he could just send me other D2 parts. A week later received another D1 ABS sensor. Is this guy on drugs?

He still won't answer my calls, emails nothing. Is that honesty? I'm legitimately bummed that I can't use him as a parts source. And I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I lost $110.

On a totally unrelated note, I have two D1 rear sensors, a rear caliper and a rotor for sale cheap.
Well, I'm sorry to hear you had a problem with Marty. I can't say that I've ever actually done business with him myself. I have heard that a lot of folks that like dealing with him though. Not defending him, I'm just saying...

I guess the point is that wanted to make sure that the OP knew that even if this turned out to be a worst case scenario where the t/c needed to be replaced, there are reasonably priced options out there...

Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
Well, I'm sorry to hear you had a problem with Marty. I can't say that I've ever actually done business with him myself. I have heard that a lot of folks that like dealing with him though. Not defending him, I'm just saying...

I guess the point is that wanted to make sure that the OP knew that even if this turned out to be a worst case scenario where the t/c needed to be replaced, there are reasonably priced options out there...
Even though I hate losing $110 buck to a loser, I'm more really really irritated that I have to fish around on eBay now to find parts. I wanted him to be my point man and be ordering stuff off him for like the next 5 years.

The ONLY thing is his defense is that he's not running a real tight ship. That's best case. Worst case, he was irritated at me or something and said, "Screw this joker". At any rate he's proven quite adept at it.

Steer clear unless you can do cash on delivery.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Drifting

ShortTom, im sorry for the dealings you had with Marty. Since he was only 1.5 hrs away i drove there and fished around the Rover heaven. He was not there, I believe the garage is run by his sons? I found a bunch of parts i needed totaling $220. i got the transfer case, dash cover, side view mirrow, and a new radio since my tape player doesnt work anymore. I cant really apeak for the transfer case because im not a mechanic, but everything else i can say will fit on my D2. My dad is going to put the transfer case on when he comes to visit me the first week of december, so i guess ill find out then?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom,
i use Will Tillery www.roverguy.com or Paul Grant paul.grant@mac.com both are fantastic and I have used both many times.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Tom,
i use Will Tillery www.roverguy.com or Paul Grant paul.grant@mac.com both are fantastic and I have used both many times.

Many thanks, I'll check them out.