Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transfer case leaking

Up until now my 03 Disco has been drip free (yes I know that must mean it has no fluids!).

Anyway, this past week I noticed some oily spots on my newly redone driveway. I have not had a chance to do a full inspection, just a quick look underneath and all I saw was that the chassis cross member just under the transfer case is wet with gear oil and the front and underside of the transfer case looks a little bit oily. I saw no oil at the underside back of the engine or bell housing. I'm not talking about huge spots on the driveway but just about a dozen or so 1/4 to 1/2 inch smudges.

I plan to do a more detailed inspection today when I find my flashlight but is anyone aware of any common leak points on the transfer case? Since it is not a pressurized oil system like in an engine where oil is pumped I am assuming a gasket or seal may be the likely culprit. Any advice of what to look for is appreciated!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Any seal can leak, check them all. Do yourself a favor, if can't find the exact spot, degrease and power scrub the entire under carriage and then look for the leak.
Today, you might consider topping off your t/case.
By the way, how many miles on the turuck and when was it last serviced, all fluids???

Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is common for the transfer cases to leak from around the inspection window so look around there. That is an easy fix with RTV. The other seals are harder to get at so some white shepards my do the trick. Also using a heavier gear oil like 85-140 or 85-120 also helps to stop a leak and is good for older gear boxes.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Any seal can leak, check them all. Do yourself a favor, if can't find the exact spot, degrease and power scrub the entire under carriage and then look for the leak.
Today, you might consider topping off your t/case.
By the way, how many miles on the truck and when was it last serviced, all fluids???
I agree with cleaning it and then observing and was planning to do this. I went underneath with a flashlight and it seems like there has been a little dripping from the seal where the front drive shaft casing is and also in the area where the transfer case connects to the transmission, in other words most of the oil is generally on the front side. I think what happened is that the metal chassis cross-member has had some oil dripping on it for awhile and it just accumulated to the point it is dripping off. I did a wipedown of the whole area with some shop rags and will hit it with a car wash pressurized sprayer today.

I'm at 109,000 and did a complete servicing at 90,000 but will have a top off check up.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The leaks you are talking about will require you to pull the case out. If it were mine, I would consider changing the fluids in question and adding some White Shepard seal additive. Not an expensive option that usually yields great results.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I second Mike's suggestions. I used White Shepard product about a year and a half ago. Has worked flawlessly ever since and is absolutely dry, no drips, no seeps. You may want to get a pump to help get it into the transfer case fill hole, it is a little difficult with the bottle. At minimum, get yourself some tubing, preferably clear, that you can attach to the bottle top to help, also wear some eye protection..............I speak from experience. Good Luck. Phil

Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

also before you refill your t-case with the heavier gear oil like suggested, leave enough room to add the white shepherd. nothing like getting ready to add it and find that it pours out of the fill hole because you topped it off during the fluid change.

t-case takes exact 2 qts so add 2 qts less the amount of the white shepherd. drive the two-three days as suggested to let it seal and then the top off.