Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Neutral Light and noise won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Neutral Light and noise won't shut off

So I have researched and researched and I am not seeing the problem/solution.

Background: I bought a 2002 Discovery 2 from a friend who said it was stuck in limp mode. He had it diagnosed by a local place who said the "PCM was bad". They rigged it to get the key out of the ignition. It was not a Land Rover Dealer but some local place as nearest LR dealer is 3 hours away. It sat for about 6 months before city gave him a notice to move it or it would be towed. He also lost the key (a whole other issue). He had the transmission replaced about 6 months before the issues and drove it for that time with no issues.

Anyway, had it towed to my house, had a new key made and charged the battery. It started right up and runs great... Except the light on the dash for the transaxle being in neutral is flashing and dinging. It is driving fine. No Limp mode. No other errors. I have verified it is in gear and it shifts from low to high no problem but the blasted dinging won't stop.

I read in the Discovery electrical guide (4.51 page 82) that C0662-15 pin controls the light/sound and clipped that this morning but no change. I ordered a new switch for the transfer case, but is there anything else that could be causing this problem and how can I shut that blasted dinging off until I can get the switch changed? I do have a ECM, BCM and gauge cluster to put in if need be as I wanted to have parts on hand to fix the original diagnosis. Should I just go ahead and swap those out and see if the problem goes away?

Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it fixed. I cut the wrong wire... If you cut the C0662-15 pin, it will turn off the light/chime and all will be fine until I get the new switch and fix the cut wire