Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case oil question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Transfer Case oil question.

I know that the workshop manual calls for 75/90 oil for the transfer case, but I've seen references to other people using a heavier t-case oil. My DII has almost 150,000 miles and I'm about to add some Blue Devil to the transfer case in an attempt to solve a leak issue. Is there any advantage to using the heavier oil?

Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I switched to 85-140 dino oil for better protection. Just check up on it once a year or so. Theres a recommended additive to use for leaks on the forums. I used it and it worked great. I forget the name of it but I'm sure it'll come up on a search.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I run 75-140 Full sythentic, and I change it once a year.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
I run 75-140 Full sythentic, and I change it once a year.
Unless you're going wading a lot you are wasting your money.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Unless you're going wading a lot you are wasting your money.
I work at a dealership, we buy it in bulk, and it costs me almost nothing.

Much cheaper than a new transfer case.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

How did you guys pinpoint that you have a leak in the transfer case? Process of elimination by going underneath and cleaning everything off? I have a leak and I'm trying to pinpoint it but there's a mess under there. It's not leaking much but enough to annoy me.. I don't like leaks.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its thick gear oil and its showing up on your t-case or dripping near the middle of the vehicle then its probably the t-case leaking. Just make sure its not ATF (red, smelly, and thinner than gear oil) or just wind blown motor oil landing on the t-case and crossmember, I think my truck does a little of this since its wet around the rear mail seal and also around the t-case. I loose motor oil slowly (<1qt between 3,000 - 4,000 mi. oil changes) and the t-case doesn't loose any noticeable amount.

I would just keep an eye on fluid levels like you should anyway. Unless its a measurable amount of motor/gear oil or any coolant/ATF leak its probably not worth fixing.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
How did you guys pinpoint that you have a leak in the transfer case? Process of elimination by going underneath and cleaning everything off? I have a leak and I'm trying to pinpoint it but there's a mess under there. It's not leaking much but enough to annoy me.. I don't like leaks.
Difficult one KD, the only real way is to wash off the T.case, diffs, engine and autobox with a soluble degreaser and then jet wash the underneath go for a short drive, say 20 miles and then recheck for leaks.

A Landrover without an oil leak is like a woman without attitude

Present company accepted or excepted

Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by james.martin1
If its thick gear oil and its showing up on your t-case or dripping near the middle of the vehicle then its probably the t-case leaking. Just make sure its not ATF (red, smelly, and thinner than gear oil) or just wind blown motor oil landing on the t-case and crossmember, I think my truck does a little of this since its wet around the rear mail seal and also around the t-case. I loose motor oil slowly (<1qt between 3,000 - 4,000 mi. oil changes) and the t-case doesn't loose any noticeable amount.

I would just keep an eye on fluid levels like you should anyway. Unless its a measurable amount of motor/gear oil or any coolant/ATF leak its probably not worth fixing.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like thick gear oil - it's actually a lighter feeling oil which doesn't stain the ground that much (as in it leaves a mark but not a dark oil stain - more like a gasoline stain which would disappear in a few days but leave a silhouette or residual ring - if that makes sense.) I don't think it's transmission fluid because it isn't red. The part that bothers me is that it looks like a mess under the vehicle - wet and oily like something has been splashing around - guess I'll clean it off and see what I can see. Also I had to put down boards when I went to visit my parents this weekend to prevent drips on their brick driveway so it is noticeable. I have never checked my transmission fluid - why in the world did they make the check-point under the vehicle? Makes no sense to me...

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 09-01-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Difficult one KD, the only real way is to wash off the T.case, diffs, engine and autobox with a soluble degreaser and then jet wash the underneath go for a short drive, say 20 miles and then recheck for leaks.

A Landrover without an oil leak is like a woman without attitude

Present company accepted or excepted

I'll do that, thanks Offroad haha.. this woman definitely has an attitude - more days than not