Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case oil fill plug stuck, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case oil fill plug stuck, any advice?

1994 Disco 1, 5 sp. manual transmission. Want to check fluid level in transfer case. With a normal socket handle I cannot budge the fill plug, not one iota. Does not appear corroded. Any advice?
I can't use a "helper" on the socket wrench handle due to limited room under the truck, but I guess I could take it to a shop with a lift, and let them remove it. Since it appears to be an aluminum case I am concerned about putting "too" much "oomph" into unscrewing it for fear of fracturing threads.

For point of comparison, the front and back differential fill plugs came out easy as pie.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Transfer case oil fill plug stuck, any advice?

Are you POSATIVE that you are going the right way? Lefty-losey righty-tighty? It willlook different from the bottom.
Check the rachet before you put it on the trk.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Are you POSATIVE that you are going the right way? Lefty-losey righty-tighty? It will look different from the bottom.
Check the rachet before you put it on the trk.

Oh yes, I am positive lefty loosey...or put another way "counter-clock-wise" when facing the plug. Plug located on side of case behind emergency brake drum.

I have "tinkered" with dozens of cars over the years, I still own about 15 cars, and I have a fair knowledge of basic mechanics.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

My mechanic uses an 18" or 24" long bar to remove them, you just need that extra energy a longer bar gives.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dude, wasnt trying to insult you, just sometimes its the simple things that we overlook.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a long extension about 10" that will get you passed
the brake drum so you can get it a little morestraightthen usea breaker bar.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I have a bolt that wont break loose I always hit it with the penetrating oil and then put ratchet on the bolt hold it so that all the slack is out and give the handle of the ratchet a good whack or two with a rubber hammer. Almost always works for me. Give it a try! Bet it gets the job done.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Mudding

I had the same problem with my D2 a couple of weeks ago. I got some liquid wrench from the auto parts store and sprayed it down a couple of times ............each time giving the plug a couple taps with a hammer to try and loosen it (kinda like hitting the side of the cap on a jar to get it to move). Then I got a small pipe and used it as a breaking bar extension on my wratchet set. Worked for me ..... hope that helps

Old 04-07-2008, 02:52 PM
6th Gear

Mine was stuck and I muscled it loose. Now the plug spins a full 360 degrees! It does not leak thank god! I ended up removing the fill cap and siphoning out the old oil the best I could and fill it up with some Lucas treatment and oil. Now that I have the broken drain plug I will probably have to replace the pan, however, it isn't leaking so I will leave it alone until then. My advice is to leave it alone and bring it to a professional or to try the siphoning solution.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Mudding

I took my problem to my local Rapid Lube, and watched then carefully as they took off the filler plug. It took quite an effort and quite a helper bar, but it finally came out successfully, with no damage.
It "was" low on gear oil, as I suspected when I found the filler plug so stuck. So I had them drain and refill. Also did the transmission (of course with Dexron (5 sp. manual) I had to go purchase a torx 55 socket for them to use, but I am keeping it myself for future level checks.