Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case stuck in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case stuck in neutral

Hi all! New to landrovers but not to offroading...I had Jeeps for many years and now have a K5 Blazer and an 01 Discovery 2 v8 se. I just picked the discovery up this am. I got it at a junkyard where it was purchased from an auction. It is in good shape and there's a lot of records for it on work done. It had a driveline noise (whine) like it wasn't all the way in gear and the t case neutral chime was on but it would go off when driving when you let off the gas or put it in reverse. After driving it a little but it went into neutral on the t case and it will not shift at all (the trans shifted when driving). At that time the key got stuck in the ignition (I did find a bent penny under the trans shifter too). I did a lot of searching and have removed the center console and shifters/floor pan and can see the top of the trans/tcase. It seems like the t case could be bad but im hoping for a bad solenoid. It does not have the CDL option. Am I on the right path here? Also what tcase is this exactly. Thanks for the help!
Kevin

Old 04-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If U R sure it's t-case and not transmission that's broke, go under truck and follow cable to t- case to find linkage and try shifting it from there it can go to hi/neutral/low. If it worked then U R lucky(nothing is broke) and only cable is stuck, check t-case gear oil b4 driving again. Also check transmission fluid while at it ,( needs to be done from under truck while running in neutral position).

Old 04-24-2015, 05:07 PM
7th Gear

Bom2oo2, Thanks for the reply. I have the console out and can see the t case shifter. It looks to move but only a little in each direction. The t case has oil, didn't check the trans yet but I did get it back into hi gear on the t case while this happened this am but only for a second (I was pushing and pulling as it was in neutral and I pulled it into hi and out right away then it wouldn't go back in. If I need a t case I found them locally for $100 with $75 core with a 3 month warranty. Still hoping its the solenoid...
Kevin

Old 04-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

It will shift easier with truck running in neutral, and rolling at couple mph, does it go to low range at all? If buying a used t-case, try getting one that has CDL like your's does (a nipple on top front left ), then u can make a linckage for it later and use the benefits of CDL.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:35 PM
7th Gear

It went in low hi and neutral when I checked it 2 weeks ago (was waiting for the title 'til today), although the whole time the t case neutral light was on and chiming. When I put it in reverse and backed up it would go out. If I go with the new used t case I definitely would go with the one with the CDL and then add that feature later.
Kevin

Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
It will shift easier with truck running in neutral, and rolling at couple mph, does it go to low range at all? If buying a used t-case, try getting one that has CDL like your's does (a nipple on top front left ), then u can make a linckage for it later and use the benefits of CDL.
x1 LR states it's better to shift the low range t case when rolling up to 5mph as often when stationary it's impossible to shift the lever. Problem with low/hi range on the t case is if it isn't exercised regularly, say once a week, it seizes up permanently.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 PM
7th Gear

My cj7 was like that. I would have to push on the t case shifter and let the clutch out while in 1st to roll a little to get it into low. Thinking about the discovery transfer case and from what ive read I'm thinking its bad. Going to pick up a used one tomorrow am with 70k on it.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling

remove the solenoid from top (trans tunnel) if u can, and put square cover back, then try shifting again if its broken solenoid that should fix it, but then U will loose the safety-net (it can shift into low while driving if U push the hi/low lever) but then U will know if broken solenoid or something else.