Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case swap questions..

Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Transfer Case swap questions..

So I fried my old TC on the 2004 Disco because the gear oil leaked out.

I bought a replacement off Ebay and it showed up without the CDL front locking mechanism. The Ebay auction says it was from a 2004 and had a picture of a 2004 Disco on the auction as well. I know this because it has the big roll bars on top, and only the 2004 came with those. But it doesn't have the CDL.

So I pulled the front part of my TC off to check for any damage to see if it could be used in the replacement one. I see no damage at all to the gears. I do see damaged gears on the main gears inside the TC. Check pictures.

2 Questions so far:
1. If I see no damage, is there any reason to think this front part could be damaged? there are chunks of bearings and gear metal in the bottom of the TC. What should I look for on here to determine if its ok to use?

2. On the replacement TC, I cannot seem to get the front to separate from the TC. I've got it this far our (see picture) and it won't come farther. Is there a reason why it's not coming out?

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case swap questions..-img_20170731_085339.jpg   Transfer Case swap questions..-img_20170731_085445.jpg   Transfer Case swap questions..-img_20170731_085349.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

First step would be to write back to the eBay seller and complain that they didn't sell you a complete transfer case, or they sold you one that doesn't match the specs of that model year. There may be a serial number or ID plate on the TC that will help you there.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
First step would be to write back to the eBay seller and complain that they didn't sell you a complete transfer case, or they sold you one that doesn't match the specs of that model year. There may be a serial number or ID plate on the TC that will help you there.
Yeah I wrote them and didn't get a reply yet.. totally surprised that they haven't responded.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Per Ebay rules you can return it for a full refund and shipping at their cost since it was their mistake. Don't waste your time trying to make it work.

Buy another one from a reputable seller, and get your refund from them. That way you don't waste anytime.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling

The transfer case seems good, I don't mind doing the swap. I just want to know why this gear isn't pulling out like mine did.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts
Default Just one person's prespective...mine...

I've learned through the years that whenever buying ebay or any other sites products...ask plenty of questions. Only had a handful of issues while purchasing, but those could have been eliminated with more discussion or better pictures.

I've also learned that ebay, etc sites will use "stock" photos for reference pictures sometimes...so that can be misleading, too. Granted, just because they say "it came out of a certain model or year"...that doesn't mean someone hasn't changed something prior to them removing the part. Example, I sold a set of euro headlights to a friend one time, that I purchased off the web, and explained them as described to me...but after sale...found out they were not what I described.

Anyhow...these are just things that have bit me in the butt while ordering parts from ebay, etc, etc sites.

Best of luck, making this new transfer case work.

Brian.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Looking back at the auction, it actually says the donor vehicle is a "Defender!" I saw this before and figured it was a carelesss error, but now I'm thinking they don't know what they're doing..

TRANSFER CASE DISCOVERY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FITS 03-04 LAND ROVER 405557 | eBay

Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

It looks like I may have had a beer or two when I went to buy this and missed a few details.

It says if fits 03-04 Discovery in the title.
It says Donor was a 2004 Defender.

So I think I'm on the hook for this since I did not inquire about these first.

So back to my original question, is there any reason why this front cone won't separate from the TC easily like my original one did? Could the gears be snagging? Do I need to remove the brake drum or something? Is there a way to twist it like a torque converter??

Thanks dudes!

The following users liked this post:
Red5 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I've personally never had one of these transfer cases apart, but from looking at your pic, I would think the shift linkage housing assembly needs to come off, and shouldn't the front driveshaft output flange need to come off too?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
So back to my original question, is there any reason why this front cone won't separate from the TC easily like my original one did? Could the gears be snagging? Do I need to remove the brake drum or something? Is there a way to twist it like a torque converter??
Did you remove the little plug with the spring detent? It is right behind those lines that look as if they have been cut.
Remove that, and the spring and ball that are inside and the shift rod should slide out more easily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case swap questions..