Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfercase or Transferbox High/Low shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

For anyone who needs to remove or replace their x-fer case solenoid. When you have your center console removed and all the extra bs involved in order to see the top of your running gear from inside the rig, the solenoid is there, in plain sight (kinda) under the passenger seat mounted on top rear of the x-fer case with four bolts, well, it's one of those parts you can see and think "hey that will come right out", BUT it's a pain in the A$$ to remove. Takes small digits, and helps to remove the shift cable mounting bracket and all the electrical tie down brackets located above the solenoid so you can get tools on it. I wasn't going to replace my bad solenoid just for the fact of not wanting to have to do this job again someday when the new solenoid failed down the road....Now it works like a real 2-wheel drive (until I get my Tru-Trak in the rear)....

Old 04-23-2018, 04:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can not shift out of high range

I'm also having issues of not getting the transfer case out of high, I'm reasonably sure it's the shift lock on the shifter, I bought the 04 disco 2 with a hole in the transmission and have since replaced it so I'm trying to tackle all these problems as I go, I do have the three lights on for abs tc and hill assist, would those lights being on cause the shift mounted switch not to get the voltage to release? I can't find any talks on here really addressing how that switch is energized to release, I'm going to fix the issue with the lights on anyway but still would appreciate any help on this matter

Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Interlock Solenoid on your 4Hi/N/4Lo shifter on your 04 is most likely the issue. You can access it from underneath the D2 (to visually inspect it/push it out of the way as a test) or by removing the shifter bezel plate which is riveted into place. You can bypass it, but you could bump it into N or 4Lo at speed which would result in a $$$$ mess. You can replace the solenoid from an 03 into your 04 assembly (MUCH cheaper vs 04 CDL assemblies).

Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Interlock Solenoid on your 4Hi/N/4Lo shifter on your 04 is most likely the issue. You can access it from underneath the D2 (to visually inspect it/push it out of the way as a test) or by removing the shifter bezel plate which is riveted into place. You can bypass it, but you could bump it into N or 4Lo at speed which would result in a $$$$ mess. You can replace the solenoid from an 03 into your 04 assembly (MUCH cheaper vs 04 CDL assemblies).
Thank you for your input , I had the shifter out and in my hands this morning, the button pushes in just fine, I checked for power at the connection but had none, but I also do not know at what point power should be there? Tried hitting the brakes and ignition on with trans in neutral but no change, I'm fixing this up to sell so as with all I've done so far I want to fix this right, I know it's this solenoid because I can shift the transfer case with the cable unhooked

The following users liked this post:
Brian's '02 Disco 2 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorhead - That's been exactly my experience.

HI/LO has been real sticky and especially so when the my 2002 D2 is hot. I have much better luck when it's cold.

Can't tell you how happy I am to have found this post!

I'm going to change out the Solenoid first chance I get.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High/Low Issue more likely when Hot

Piggy Backing off of a 2013 post from Motorhead who was having the same issues I'm having and his solve came down to the Solenoid.

If you're having a real struggle getting into High/Low and it's persnickety - as a test - see if it's much harder when the engine is hot. I could always get mine into High/Low when I kept it lubed through the summer months by shifting to High/Low once a month.

I primarily use my '02 LR D2 SE in the winter for winter sports. It sits through most of the summer.

So then, every winter after a long drive to the mountains, my head explodes when I can't shift into High/Low.

If that's you - try replacing the Solenoid - Scroll down to Motorhead's posts in this thread.