Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission froze!?! Literally

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

The other day, it was -30 F...with the wind-chill factored in.

Wind eased up in the evening and I was out with the doggies, feeding the chickens, thawing water buckets, etc, etc. Came back in the house, wife asked what it was like out there? Said, "Oh, not bad, wind's calmed down and it only feels like -10 or so...and I'm sure thankful for the global warming...or I may have froze to death."

Brian.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The other day, it was -30 F...with the wind-chill factored in.

Wind eased up in the evening and I was out with the doggies, feeding the chickens, thawing water buckets, etc, etc. Came back in the house, wife asked what it was like out there? Said, "Oh, not bad, wind's calmed down and it only feels like -10 or so...and I'm sure thankful for the global warming...or I may have froze to death."

Brian.
Don't mention global warming to the New Yorkers at the moment, they won't see the funny side of that. Now how many years has New York gone arctic, at least 5 - 10 I believe. Paul and I don't see eye to eye on global warming which I believe is a political money spinning myth and cyclical in the scheme of the world's weather and employs many scientists crowing on about it or fighting each other over it. Who actually cares, nothing will ever change.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ That was too funny!!!

Old 01-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Lmao funny stuff

Old 01-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

So drove it around today. Backing out of somewhat of an incline drive way and the truck wad shaking and sounded like something was going on in the trans for sure. Not good signs. It didn't hesitate moving though.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Its name is climate change.

Its still the same temps its been my entire life. Once I'm gone...I'm not going to care.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Don't mention global warming to the New Yorkers at the moment, they won't see the funny side of that. Now how many years has New York gone arctic, at least 5 - 10 I believe. Paul and I don't see eye to eye on global warming which I believe is a political money spinning myth and cyclical in the scheme of the world's weather and employs many scientists crowing on about it or fighting each other over it. Who actually cares, nothing will ever change.
eh.... I typically think the same way you do, Offroad, and 'defend' my stance by stating that I didn't take classes designing for a 100 year flood for nothing. Newscasts report that 100 year floods never affected areas in the past that they are being affected with today's storms. I say, infrastructure is more pronounced today that it was 100 years ago. You can't expect to see the same results from storms when you've changed the landscape. But then on the flipside if you look at what is happening outside of your backyard, ie; around the world, it makes you pause and wonder if there really is something to it. I'm sure the ladies of the Women's Institute could tell us the answer

Weird about the transmission...

Old 01-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

No S&M lights here but for the last several cold days my trans has been staying in 1st gear for a short block before shifting. Guess I should swap out the 20w-50 ATF until it warms up.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
No S&M lights here but for the last several cold days my trans has been staying in 1st gear for a short block before shifting. Guess I should swap out the 20w-50 ATF until it warms up.
No issues here, I am using DEX 6.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by sickws6
So drove it around today. Backing out of somewhat of an incline drive way and the truck wad shaking and sounded like something was going on in the trans for sure. Not good signs. It didn't hesitate moving though.
Have you checked your trans fluid level lately? Also, is battery fully charged now. The way you describe it...it kind of sounds more like a running issue, more than a trans. Transmissions normally don't freeze, sure, the oil gets much thicker when cold...but it doesn't freeze. Yes, the thicker fluid will affect the way they shift. The other day, -14, my trans temp on my Silverado was 18 (after running for fifteen minutes in the driveway and when I left the house. Didn't get above 48 degrees for the first ten miles...but it still made all shifts (except final converter lock up, that took about twenty miles).

Maybe a good fluid/filter change is in order. Check to see if you are getting any types of codes, too.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Transmission froze!?! Literally