Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil cooler, water pump, and head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil cooler, water pump, and head gasket leak

Recently i started noticing a leak from the driver side of my disco 2 near the radiator. I took it in to an indy shop to find out what was leaking and get an idea of what was going on. The shop told me it was the transmission oil cooler. However, they also said that my water pump weep hole had a major leak and that the head gasket had a light leak. The weird thing to me is that I have not noticed any coolant loss and it has been driving fine. I had them put in a new water pump and drove it home. I am looking for advice as to how to move forward and find out for sure if there is anything going on with the head gasket. Is there an easy way for me to test to make sure they are not giving me the run around? I feel pretty comfortable working on the car and plan to take care of the transmission oil cooler leak and feel like i can probably do the head gasket job after reading up some. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If any coolant leak, then you have to loose coolant,!
You can pressure test cooling system to make sure,

Old 11-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

As far as I know the water pump weep hole is there to indicate the water pump gasket has failed and needs replacing. It's a good design that works.

There is a good chance that that is the end of your problems.

I would watch things with an eagle eye, to see if you have any more coolant loss, or signs of HG issue.

I say this having only ever read about the water pump weep hole. You'll get a more authoritative reply shortly, I'm sure.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

cappedup is correct, the weep hole is there to let you know the seal has failed and replacement is needed.
Do not rely on your factory temp gauge to tell you if it is ever overheating, they are useless.
Most members will recommend either ultra gauge or something that will give you an accurate temp reading. I use phone app called DashCommand that connects to obd2 wifi that plugs into diagnostic port.
A leak test is the only way to tell if anything else is in fact leaking from the coolant system.
The transmission cooler may only be a bad line and easily replaced.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Three Wheeling

So I am looking at doing a head gasket replacement myself. Any advice or knowledge of where I should get a kit from? I am looking at getting the kit from Atlantic British. Has anyone ever used this kit?

Also going to do spark plugs, wires and a new 180 Thermostat.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:03 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I have used there kit several times, never had a problem. check see if it comes with the upper intake gasket.
look to kingsborne for wires order their 8mm wire, good wire , crazy cheap prices.
180 stat is great make sure its a LR thermostat, to many problems with the copies.
if you don't have one you might want to order a fan blade wrench.

UN-TORQUE YOUR HEADS, don't just start pulling head bolts. remove them from the outside in, or you will end up with problems trying to get the rear head bolts out.jmho

Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok thanks for the guidance. I am having trouble locating the coolant drain plugs on the block. Can anyone advise me on this or a way to get the coolant out?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by kgov
Ok thanks for the guidance. I am having trouble locating the coolant drain plugs on the block. Can anyone advise me on this or a way to get the coolant out?
Furthest right, lower 11mm bolt on the water pump will drain a good amount of the coolant.

I would buy your head gasket set from Lucky8. Call them and tell them what you are doing, they will set you up with everything needed and at a better price than AB.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Drain Plugs

locating the coolant drain plugs on the block
Driver's/LH side toward rear, forward of crank sensor at level with bottom of freeze plugs. RH forward of starter between Knock sensor and engine mount. Recently removed mine, LH easy R&R but RH more difficult to remove and real PIA to reinstall. Starter heatshield blocks easy access, only way I was able to get started was by using a borrowed 12pt flex ratcheting combo 7/16" wrench. So not so bad with right tool in hand.

and that the head gasket had a light leak
Did the shop say if external and whether LH, RH, Fwd or Aft? Prior to doing head gaskets I'd want to see visual evidence of the leak myself if external. Then clean around it and watch for a short while, if indeed slight would be tempted to try something like K-Seal or cayenne pepper first, it has worked for me on external leaks in the past.

The shop told me it was the transmission oil cooler.
Trans oil leak and what's being done about this? If oil leak good idea to check out level and maybe worry about it as much as a slight HG leak?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks I will try to find those drain plugs today. If I can't find or remove them is there any other ways to get the extra coolant out?

I am also having some difficulty with the SAI and remove the large Union nuts that are at the bottom of the head connection. Any tips?

I will be replacing the transmission oil cooler as well during this job to address that leak.

Last edited by kgov; 01-03-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add photo

Quick Reply: Transmission oil cooler, water pump, and head gasket leak