Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil cooler, water pump, and head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks I will try to find those drain plugs today. If I can't find or remove them is there any other ways to get the extra coolant out?
Assume to drop level below top of block for HG replacement? Loosing/removing water pump bolt/bolts as previous reply suggested should allow enough. If you goggle block/timing cover and look at images you'll see the coolant passages that should drain.

I am also having some difficulty with the SAI and remove the large Union nuts that are at the bottom of the head connection. Any tips?
Penetrating oil and use your 27mm or 1 1/16" open/combination wrench and they should come off.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the Driver side coolant drain today and also drained from the water pump bolt. Was unable to locate the passenger side drain. Is it ok not to drain that side?

I also got all of the SAI removed and out of the way.

I also was following the rave and got to a point to remove the fuel rail line below the coil pack. I removed it and placed a rag under it and a few minutes later I smell gas and the rag is soaked and it's leaking gas everywhere. From what I read it sounds like it should have just spilled a little out and then stopped. I reconnected the fuel line to stop it.

Any advice regarding this?

Last edited by kgov; 01-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling

Can anyone help me with how to keep the fuel feed pipe from leaking gas when I disconnect it from the fuel rail?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by kgov
Can anyone help me with how to keep the fuel feed pipe from leaking gas when I disconnect it from the fuel rail?
Releasing the gas cap will remove some of the pressure, but you will have some leaking, but it will stop. If you are worried about emptying your gas tank, that won't happen.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Does anyone know if it is required to take the air injection adapters out of the head when doing the head gaskets?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Baja

Does anyone know if it is required to take the air injection adapters out of the head when doing the head gaskets?
It is not, but the machine will remove them to clean them properly.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Manual says to remove and discard, then replace with new. Just read a thread on another site and loose ones are preventing SAI manifold removal. Haven't read of others replacing them and not included in ABs kit? If replacements are available mine will be new going back together.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission oil cooler, water pump, and head gasket leak-sai-adapers.png  
Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by number9
Manual says to remove and discard, then replace with new. Just read a thread on another site and loose ones are preventing SAI manifold removal. Haven't read of others replacing them and not included in ABs kit? If replacements are available mine will be new going back together.

I always re use them. The manual tells you to throw away and replace just about everything. They are not included in any kit I have seen.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
I always re use them. The manual tells you to throw away and replace just about everything. They are not included in any kit I have seen.
Yeah they are like $60 I think....