Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

Transmission will not go into reverse....Little red lights along gear selector do not illuminate in park,reverse,1st and 3rd... Drained fluid looks really dirty brown got about 4 quarts on the drain job... Checked voltage at the alternator got about 13.8 volts....Key wont come out of ignition until I unplug battery..Any help please..

Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If you only got 4 quarts out I would run it and flush it again and look into changing the filter at a minimum.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to take a lot better care of your ride. That tranny is probably fried but I would try another drain and refill.
Do you even know how to fill the tranny, two times, second time with the engine running and the tranny in park.
Voltage is also pretty low, may be causing some issues.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike is right, its very clear that if you don't take care of things they fall apart. At the top of the forum he has a maintenance section and you don't have to wait until you hit that mileage to perform his list it should be done as soon you purchase a new rover.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You need to take a lot better care of your ride. That tranny is probably fried but I would try another drain and refill.
Do you even know how to fill the tranny, two times, second time with the engine running and the tranny in park.
Voltage is also pretty low, may be causing some issues.
Ok so I bought this truck used from a doctor...I dont think he had it off road that much...Well except in the sand on the beach..So My maintenance has not been a factor..The CEL has been on since I got it and the mechanic I used was suppose to give me details but my wife picked up the truck and you know how that goes he could have told her every detail and she would not understand so.. $1250..for new key and front A/C fix most of this charge was for parts.. Here is the list of codes he gave me:

60=Purge vent valve/Power stage fault
73=Mass airflow sensor fault
1F=Rough Road signal implausible
AA=Air conditioning compressor power stage fault
3505=Rear right outlet valve open circuit
1006=Front left sensor signal erratic
1364=Shuttle switch electrical failure

I have not had any warning from my transmission other than just the other day...I think..I went to reverse and nothing happened m and s lights flashed and lights were flashing at the shift lever as well..so I stopped and parked ...shut the truck off and started it up again..It went into reverse ok so I moved on..I guess I need to do some reading in the shop manual..Funny thing about this is from park to drive sometimes you can't move the lever without pumping the brakes several times..then she goes into Reverse..the lights for reverse come on by the way and of course no movement.. Man I hope I did not get someones lemon..I like the truck..but it is my only ride so..ya know fixes must move quickly..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because you got it from a doctor, astronaut, or the pope himself does not mean it was serviced correctly. Unless you have a service records from every single time it was in the shop you have to assume it has had nothing done at all. As far as the mechanic talking to your wife i guess you need to talk to the mechanic yourself and get the details so you can stay on top of your only vehicle. If your CEL is illuminated there is a problem that needs fixed not wait a few months and see what happens.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Too bad you did not have a pre-purchase inspection done prior to buying, would have caught all this up front and dealt with it at the purchase.
As for only driving in the sand, that is the hardsest surface for a tranny.
For the future, read my majpr service list at the top of the D2 section and do it all to try and salvage your truck.
As for those codes, if you can, go buy a local auto parts store where they will read the fault codes for free, get the fault code numbers and give us a list, the codes you provided or not Rover codes as such and won't help you fix any of the problems.
By the way, how mechanical are you?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you will need to check the charging system and maybe replace the battery.

The tranny needs to be flushed and topped off when the car is running to insure you get the proper amount of fluid back in.

and also a shutter valve repair. Search option a or b and you find a ton of info.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Too bad you did not have a pre-purchase inspection done prior to buying, would have caught all this up front and dealt with it at the purchase.
As for only driving in the sand, that is the hardsest surface for a tranny.
For the future, read my majpr service list at the top of the D2 section and do it all to try and salvage your truck.
As for those codes, if you can, go buy a local auto parts store where they will read the fault codes for free, get the fault code numbers and give us a list, the codes you provided or not Rover codes as such and won't help you fix any of the problems.
By the way, how mechanical are you?
Thanks D Mike! I just drove the truck and had a code reader put on it..

Here's the results

P0447-Evap Emission vent control circuit open
P0102-Mass Air Flow Circuit Input low
P1884-No definition code..any idea what this one is?
P0134-Oxygen sensor Bank 1 sensor 1

I am average mechanically can do brakes, alternators, starters and most cosmetic stuff just learning multi-meter use ...this is where the real skills come...,in my opinion; trouble shooting correctly and timely..and not just throwing parts at an area and see if it works which I have done in the past..I am gonna replace passenger side exhaust manifold..which has a decent crack in it now.. got the parts but trying to figure this transmission issue out first..Could it be as simple as a filter change? What does the strong rotten eggs smell come from? MAF??? just noticed it in the past few days..I could smell exhaust fumes up front cause of the manifold leak but I really smell sulphur and the truck is hesitating some at idle... I read in rave last night about a Stall Test..I did that this morning and registered about 2200 rpm engine seemed a little sluggish..what do you think? Thanks for all your advice DM..

Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ebg18t
Looks like you will need to check the charging system and maybe replace the battery.

The tranny needs to be flushed and topped off when the car is running to insure you get the proper amount of fluid back in.

and also a shutter valve repair. Search option a or b and you find a ton of info.
I checked the alternator at 13.8 is that an issue with LR D2's not enough volts..Hell I thought that was plenty...Battery was replaced within the year as I was told by previous owner..any certain type of battery...this is an interstate battery..looks new! I will check the owners manual for battery specks.. Thanks for info on shuttle valve I think I will rebuild seals soon on this one...The three amigo's have not came back since I had a LR mechanic shop reset them..about two weeks ago..I have a ton of service to do on this truck and this transmission deal has gave me a GUT check..

Quick Reply: Transmission problems