Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If it were mine, I would fix the manifold leak, replace the MAF with one from British Parts of Utah, clear the codes and see what happens.
*** for the voltage, it is on the low side of Rovers range, mine runs at around 14.35 volts.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If it were mine, I would fix the manifold leak, replace the MAF with one from British Parts of Utah, clear the codes and see what happens.
*** for the voltage, it is on the low side of Rovers range, mine runs at around 14.35 volts.
Should I have my alt. rebuilt or find a factory replacement...The truck has a low whining sound coming from the front...When I bought the vehicle I remember thinking to myself that noise sounds like the alternator has bad shaft bearings ...As for the transmission gonna run through the drain fill a couple of times and while I do that have my filter and gasket on order..Can I use some type of additive to help with cleaning..Like Seafoam? I think i am in Limp Home mode according to the code 1884 I found it in the transmission section on RAVE...What is CAN a word used often in describing Limp Home codes..Thanks

Old 08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can go either route with alternator but make sure it is done or purchased from someone reputable as far as seafoam goes yes you can use that look at mikes upkeep at top of page he tells you the best chemicals to use. Did you even read any of disco mikes major maintenance thread?

Last edited by lr2001silver; 08-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go have the alternator/charging system tested before you do any thing.
Stay away from the rebuilt alternators if you do need a replacement then go to British Parts Of Utah and buy a new Bosch for cheap.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Drifting
Default Transmission problems starting to get better.. I hope!

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go have the alternator/charging system tested before you do any thing.
Stay away from the rebuilt alternators if you do need a replacement then go to British Parts Of Utah and buy a new Bosch for cheap.
Thanks DMike! I got the truck to go into reverse by unplugging the EAT ECU
I am sure you know what this is but here is the text from RAVE workshop manual to help refresh.

The EAT ECU operates the solenoid valves in the gearbox to provide automatic control of gear shifts and torque
converter lock-up. The EAT ECU is attached to a protective bracket which is secured to the cabin floor below the LH
front seat. A 55 pin connector links the EAT ECU to the vehicle wiring.
Software in the EAT ECU monitors hard wired inputs and exchanges information with the ECM on a Controller Area
Network (CAN) bus to determine gear shift and torque converter lock-up requirements. Resultant control signals are
then output to the gearbox solenoid valves.

This is where I found the trouble code 1884 which was also in the automatic gearbox section about CAN..
Any advice on what to do now..Purchase a new one or is there a way to test this unit with a multimeter to see if it is indeed the root cause? Can I drive with this out for short distances? By the way filling my transmission with fluid was tough at first with a squeeze bulb pump...I gave up and found that a short small pump up bug sprayer work very nice to inject fluid in fast..with a little modification of the tip..piece of vacuum hose...

Thanks for your time

Last edited by chermecz; 08-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
You can go either route with alternator but make sure it is done or purchased from someone reputable as far as seafoam goes yes you can use that look at mikes upkeep at top of page he tells you the best chemicals to use. Did you even read any of disco mikes major maintenance thread?
Yes I read his service plan and a good one..Mechanical things on this truck have been very neglected so I am taking things as they come and they are coming faster than I hoped and trying to do PM as much as my budget allows.. Just now I have had ac issues which were costly and I have a pretty large family to support so I will get this truck ready..with time

Thanks for all advice

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Drifting

OK! Something is weird here...Unplugged EAT ECU and my key FOB started working properly..which I could not lock all doors with the FOB remotely only unlock before tranny problems...I plugged it back in today to see if my tranny was going to engage and it did but then the key FOB stopped working properly again and the interior lights defaulted to staying on for the ten minute cycle...Whats the relationship? Is it because these transmission controllers are part of the ECM network possibly? Or could it be the BCU causing the FOB issue?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet its the bcu acting up that caused your key fob to not work properly.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

All the modules "talk" to each other and decide which one is going to force you to take them back to the mother ship at the dealership, where the manuals, translated from their original Klingon, are kept. An 1884 OBDII code has additional sub-codes that can only be read by dealer or advanced scanner. I'd think you may have a stray ground that is impacting the CAN buss.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
All the modules "talk" to each other and decide which one is going to force you to take them back to the mother ship at the dealership, where the manuals, translated from their original Klingon, are kept. An 1884 OBDII code has additional sub-codes that can only be read by dealer or advanced scanner. I'd think you may have a stray ground that is impacting the CAN buss.
LOL! Nice ...Where do I start to search for this ground fault...