Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission removal

Hi,
I.m removing my tranny from a 99 DII. I'm following the RAVE manual but there is a wire plug on the driver side of the tranny that looks like you twist it to get it out, I tried to turn the plastic ring with but it doesn't budge. The manual is not real clear on how to remove it. Before I start tugging and wrenching on it. I wanted to see if you guys had any advice. Also any shortcuts, tips or pitfalls to look for? So far I have removed the rear drive shaft, y pipe, parking brake, and 5 bell housing bolts. Tomorrow Ill tackle the rear engine/tranny mounts, and maybe torque converter bolts. My used ebay tranny will be here Friday, I'm going to change the rear main seal (crank seal while I've got it apart, any tips on that will be useful also.

Thanks
John

Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm pretty sure you have to remove the center console inside the truck and remove the plate to disconnect the shifter cable. With that out getting to the other connectors might be a bit easier.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear

I am in the same situation (replacing the tranny).

Mine is a 2003. I have already bought the replacement unit. Just starting to get the old (existing) unit out.

Chris
Michigan

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM
4wd Low

If you've ever pulled a tranny its not that bad, for me I think it was easier getting it in than taking it out, the biggest problem I ran into was the top two bolts on the bell housing, after you've taken the ypipe, front and rear shaft, ebrake assym, shift link etc, remove the tranny mounts (I think rave calls them rear motor mounts but they are the tranny mounts) , I then loosen or remove the motor mount bolts, just the bolts, not the mounts themselves then lower the tranny jack, get under the truck and look over the top of the tranny from the rear of the truck, you will see the two bolts, I have a pretty good tool collection so I used about 3' of ratchet extensions, to get to the bolts, I pulled them right out.

While I was waiting on my used ebay tranny to arrive I bought a CDL from a local and ripped out the center console and installed the cdl, someone said you could get to those bolts from there, and I guess you could but you cant see them on my truck and you would have to do it by feel.
Anyway I did it pretty much by myself, its not that bad of a job you are just laying on you back the whole time, just take your time and don't drink while doing this, you don't want to do it twice.
Oh yeah make sure you get the truck high enough to get the tranny in and out. To take it out I just dropped it off of the jack and drug it out because I was not reusing it and my jack stands were not tall enough to clear the truck with the tranny on it.
To put it in, I laid it on a thin sheet of ply wood, (cardboard would work too) and I had my 16 and 21 year old sons to slide it under the truck, once we got it under the tunnel we put jacks under each end (also used the sons to balance the tranny) and slowly raised it enough until we could get the tranny jack under it and strapped on. It can be done without help but it sure made it a lot quicker with help.
John
Alabama

Last edited by hacksaw830; 03-24-2014 at 09:03 AM.