Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick Dick - Recovery Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Tricky Dick- Recovery Gear

So I was pretty far out this weekend on some crazy roads. When I say crazy I am talking about steep, cliff on one side, large rocks, big inclines, and big washes.

I finally did a 20 point turn around and called it a day for two reasons.

1. I don't have any recovery gear
2. I came to a wash that I felt exceeded my skills

So, the big question I have is what kind of recovery gear should I think about investing in.

Note that I am not wanting to buy a wench so looking for come a long, tow straps, and other gear to get me out of tight situations and that will allow me to feel confident in trying situations that exceed my current skill level.

oh...will not be mud bogging on my own so not too worried about that type of gear

Last edited by Friday Night Disco; 06-18-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Yo momma
Old 06-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

I'd start with the following. The jack is multi use. You can use it as a jack or a winch. I have this exact jack and it's great.

https://smile.amazon.com/Smittybilt-...ords=farm+jack

Recovery Strap

https://smile.amazon.com/Strap-Reinf...recovery+strap

Hitch receiver shackle. DON'T RECOVER USING TRAILER SAFETY CHAIN POINTS

https://smile.amazon.com/Smittybilt-...covery+shackle

Hi-lift attachment for lifting by your rim if you don't have steel bumpers. If you're changing a wheel you'll need a jack stand. Even if you have a bottle jack, get a jack stand anyway.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LM1...=hi-lift+chain

To winch you can get a couple of shackles; one for the top of the jack to attach to your recovery point and another to attach the jacking foot to your tow strap.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I'd start with
Thanks! Those prices are good

Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Camel Trophy

They are! And actually, if you have a harbor freight nearby you can get a recovery shackle for your hitch receiver for like $12. I keep one in my truck and I've used it half a dozen times.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
They are! And actually, if you have a harbor freight nearby you can get a recovery shackle for your hitch receiver for like $12. I keep one in my truck and I've used it half a dozen times.
i do have a harbor freight close by. I seen those as well as tow straps and come along. My thoughts were to avoid the bargains on those items

Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Some items at HF I avoid. Others are perfectly fine. The shackle isn't as strong as the smittybuilt I linked, but as long as you don't jerk on it its perfectly fine.

I haven't used the straps, but I've looked at them. Honestly they look fine to me, too. Get one of the higher rated ones and you'll be fine. Their winches are good, too. A little slow but plenty reliable.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I buy and resell harbor freight tools a lot. Generally, it's some of the cheapest Chinese crap you could ever find. However, they do occasionally carry items that work miraculously well, given their reputation. Fortunately, most of the 10,000lb recovery straps are all basically the same thing, so it doesn't really matter where you buy as long as you get a good deal.

You can get 6+ ton bow shackles on the enterwebs for cheap.

I carry two heavy tow straps, two big bow shackles (as well as the one I now have mounted in my front bumper, same as listed above), two pulley blocks, and two anchor straps.

Last edited by KingKoopa; 06-18-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used the hell out of a Harbor Freight recovery strap, they work really well. I was able to pull an F150 out of a sideways V notch with one. But as always, smooth is the key.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Generally, it's some of the cheapest Chinese crap you could ever find. However, they do occasionally carry items that work miraculously well, given their reputation.
Ain't that the truth. Heck, even their $10 angle grinder is great for the price. I've had mine over a year. The squirrel cage broke off a couple months ago so she heats up quick, but she still works surprisingly well and that's considered one of their worse tools. Personally I'm not going to complain for $10. Their chop saws are surprisingly good. I've used three of them extensively and never had one fail. The brushes wore out on one of them, but replace them and it works perfectly. Their floor jacks are surprisingly good, too.

That said, there are definitely things there that I stay away from. For example, their Anvils. Their anvils are CAST. Like, come on guys. That's not an anvil. It's a boat anchor. They break easy and even fresh out of the store they have no ring to them.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Just picked up a 8,000 lb cable puller from Harbor Freight for $30.

i checked their straps and hitches, didn't see anything I liked or would feel comfortable using. Will probably pick up the rest of the recommended items via the Amazon links provided