Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Dick - Coil Pack Replacement SAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Did some prepping today
1. Cleaned both surfaces to get ready for new gasket

2. Replaced studs with bolts

3. Replaced plastic nipple with brass nipple

4. Replaced TBH delete hose patch job with solid hose from block to reservoir

5. Ordered metric O ring for $8 as the auto shops around me don't have it unless I buy a full kit of metric O rings for $24

Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Coil packs and ignition wires showed up today

Waiting for gasket and O ring to show up and I can button Tricky Dick back up.
Still thinking about cleaning the fuel injectors while I have the room...

Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Pro Wrench

Good news and bad news

good news, got everything put back together and Tricky Dick seems to be running smoother and no codes. Just finished first round of bleeding and will start second round tonight. By removing the studs and replacing them with bolts, I think I will not have to disconnect the coolant system again. Thanks for the advice on that!!

bad news, I snapped one of the bolts on the intake...I was torqueing it to 16 ft pounds and it snapped. Not sure if the bolt was old and fatigued but, I would recommend using new bolts for anyone doing this project.
Since I was near the end of the project, I decided to leave the snapped bolt in and checked for any leaks. Didn't see any leaks and no codes, so I think I am going to leave as is for now until I have another project that requires me to remove the intake.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I bought gerrys coil pack relocation kit and I love the looks of it and any future jobs regarding coils
but after removing intake a few times it gets very easy after a while to get back there

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (09-03-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I bought gerrys coil pack relocation kit and I love the looks of it and any future jobs regarding coils
but after removing intake a few times it gets very easy after a while to get back there
Replacing the studs with bolts for the SAI will help out a lot, that was a very good tip. I am crossing my fingers I don't need to get back there again.

Bleeding session #2 under way. Drove about 50 miles and everything is working like a champ. Definitely a lot more pull using spots mode with the new coils and wires. Butt dyno says 5 more hp.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah those studs were silly vs bolts when they rolled off the assembly line. Was it one of the 6 intake bolts that broke on ya? I’ve never had one snap, but I’ve certainly found them loose on plenty of Bosch engines.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yeah those studs were silly vs bolts when they rolled off the assembly line. Was it one of the 6 intake bolts that broke on ya? I’ve never had one snap, but I’ve certainly found them loose on plenty of Bosch engines.
Yes, it was one of the (6) the long one on the passenger side close to front of the truck. I was surprised as I was using factory torque spec of 16 ft pounds. Was really pissed off when it happen but, figured I would button the truck up and see if I could hear a leak or toss a code. Neither happen so I am not going to sweat it for now. And as I said before, I feel a performance improvement.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Yeah you’ll be fine with the remaining 5 holding it into place.

I just did the spark plugs on the wife’s 06 LR3 and I went with some Autolite Iridium XP’s (same P/N as our D2’s). People always like to argue on LR3’s that it should be Bosch or Champion, but the fact is OEM is completely Japanese lol. NGK Platinum Plugs, and Denso coil packs from the factory.

Parts guy was like I highly recommend Bosch, I said OH HECK NO, and that surprised him lol. I said I’ll take NGK or Autolite Iridium plugs & if you don’t have 8 of those in stock I’m outta here. I have had great results with the XP plugs & they aren’t hard to find.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Speak to Brian (The Deputy), he had a solution for relocating the coil packs. IMHO they are in a bad place for overheating, good and convenient for LR sales, but they need to be relocated somewhere forward preferably in a cooler air stream.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Speak to Brian (The Deputy), he had a solution for relocating the coil packs. IMHO they are in a bad place for overheating, good and convenient for LR sales, but they need to be relocated somewhere forward preferably in a cooler air stream.
I thought about buying Gerry's kit and even had it on my watch list on ebay then my front hub starting seeping some type of oil or grease. So, I will tear that apart next and planning on replacing both front hubs in the very near future.

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (09-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Tricky Dick - Coil Pack Replacement SAI