Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Dick - High Beam + Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Tricky Dick - High Beam + Fog Lights

Working on my bumper project and trying to find out if there is a way to disable the cut off where you switch to high beams and the fog lights turn off.

I believe this can be done by changing the settings on the ECU, however, is there a mechanical way to do it so I don't have to buy a Hawkeye?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Not that I know of.
But, I sent my Hawkeye back months ago, as they will Not program keys as advertised.
I ordered a Nanocom last week.
Might as well get the one that Can do it all.

I set my fog lights to come on with the high beams months ago, and they worked fine.
Then they stopped working, yet would still come on when tested through the Hawkeye.
Made no sense. Yay, something else to figure out and fix.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably not a great idea to discuss how to defeat factory safety systems here on the forum. My .02 cents.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

The mechanical way to do it would be to add a relay, tapping a 12v signal from the headlights, and ideally getting its power source directly from the battery with a fuse... you could tap power directly from the headlight (and not use a relay) but I strongly advise against adding any electrical loads to factory wiring.

Probably not a very good idea overall though, I don't really see the point.

edit: this would make fog lights always on if headlights are on, so not a good option. The fog light switch is a momentary switch, so I don't think this is possible. Not a good idea either to manually power the fog lights, as a short circuit could go directly back to the ECU

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-19-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Fast951
Probably not a great idea to discuss how to defeat factory safety systems here on the forum. My .02 cents.
Just talking about turning the fog lights on manually, or having them come on automatically with the high beams, which there is a setting for.
Not defeating a safety setting, or a big deal.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
The mechanical way to do it would be to add a relay, tapping a 12v signal from the headlights, and ideally getting its power source directly from the battery with a fuse... you could tap power directly from the headlight (and not use a relay) but I strongly advise against adding any electrical loads to factory wiring.

Probably not a very good idea overall though, I don't really see the point.

edit: this would make fog lights always on if headlights are on, so not a good option. The fog light switch is a momentary switch, so I don't think this is possible. Not a good idea either to manually power the fog lights, as a short circuit could go directly back to the ECU
Thanks for the feedback, reason I want this is for dark nights on the logging roads and not wanting to add additional lighting

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Just talking about turning the fog lights on manually, or having them come on automatically with the high beams, which there is a setting for.
I am not going to sweat folks being concerned or thinking there is a liability to the forums for doing aftermarket stuff.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
There's a reason Rover set up the Disco from the factory to have the driving lights/fogs off when the high beams are on. IMO it is a safety setting. When you're on the other side of the road approaching it is quite a big deal. Above my pay grade - up to a Moderator to decide. If it's not considered a big deal then whatever -- just trying to be helpful.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

You could swap the factory fog light switch for a cruise-control switch, swap the faceplates. The cruise control switch is a normal latching switch. Then wire up a relay as I described. Fair bit of electrical work involved though...

But if there is really a programmable setting for this, I'd do whatever is possible to try and go that route.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Fast951
There's a reason Rover set up the Disco from the factory to have the driving lights/fogs off when the high beams are on. IMO it is a safety setting. When you're on the other side of the road approaching it is quite a big deal. Above my pay grade - up to a Moderator to decide. If it's not considered a big deal then whatever -- just trying to be helpful.
It's no bigger a deal than just the high beams...that's why it IS the law to dim high beams for oncoming traffic.
So, you can use your high beams, and fog lights together, legally, and use 2 switches to do so.
Or, use a Disco specific ob2 scanner, and set it so they come on with just one switch.
If that's a safety concern...ok

Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
You could swap the factory fog light switch for a cruise-control switch, swap the faceplates. The cruise control switch is a normal latching switch. Then wire up a relay as I described. Fair bit of electrical work involved though...

But if there is really a programmable setting for this, I'd do whatever is possible to try and go that route.
I am thinking that the ECU is the way to go.

To shed some "light" on what I am up to, I am attaching a light bar, wired to the factory fog light switches, and designing it to be a quick disconnect from the steel bumper. Meaning, I can unplug the lights and remove the light bar in 1 minute or less.

I don't want to be running around with some big lights in front of my radiator 24/7 and not willing to mount them on the roof.

Quick Reply: Tricky Dick - High Beam + Fog Lights