Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Dick - P0441

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
They are adapters that fit the 18mm bungs that screw in and have an angle and then some excess to them where you still plug in the rear o2 sensor to do the cat bypass mod. The front will be fine either way
I have done this on Subaru's before, just need to figure out the right length. Heck might even try the same size for the Subaru's just to see. But, that is a bit further down the road, need to now button up the front end and I took it all apart this weekend while I replaced the radiator mounts.

If I go with the catless approach, I will do a Tricky Dick write up and share with everyone. No cat = more power!!

Old 02-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I have more than once had an O2 sensor be bad out of the box. You might try swapping the upstream sensors side-to-side and see if the code moves to the driver side.
X2 I would do this before spending anymore money on O2's.

Your rear down stream O2's are the ones that tell you if you have a bad cat, that's their job. If your not getting this error code, I'm not sure why you are worried about converters? Maybe I miss read something though. Tricky Dick cracks me up

Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
X2 I would do this before spending anymore money on O2's.

Your rear down stream O2's are the ones that tell you if you have a bad cat, that's their job. If your not getting this error code, I'm not sure why you are worried about converters? Maybe I miss read something though. Tricky Dick cracks me up
I tried (2) cheap O2's with the same code. Bit the bullet and ordered (2) bosch

Reason I am going after the O2 is to track down the root cause of the P1170 code which started after resolving the P0441.

My understanding is that it is one of the three items

1. O2
2. Exhaust leak
3. Bad Cat

I know this thread is a bit long but, it outlines what I started with in codes and what I am currently seeing.

The bosch O2's will be showing up on Friday so I will probably have more updates Saturday.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Update

P0441 is back, however, all other codes are now gone. I did swap out the passenger side with a new bosch O2.

Next steps - I am going to replace the vacuum line on the outlet side of the purge valve as that will be the easiest.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Update

replaced vacuum outlet side and got the code again. Ordered an OEM Hyundai valve and will try that before replacing the inlet vacuum line.

will replace drivers side front O2 tomorrow and continue to bleed the coolant system. I also ordered a new thermostat as I am not liking the high temps.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Update

P0441 is the only code showing up on my scanner. I thought it was odd that I don't get a warning light on my dash but, it shows on my scanner.

Front O2's are both working, no codes.

For fun I cleaned the MAF today, even though I ordered a new one, no change in idle or P0441 code.

Topped off the tranny, after running about 100 miles after flush, with a little love from Redline.

Then I took Tricky Dick up to the mountains and played in the snow.

Parts on order:
1. New Purge Valve - 28910-22040 Genuine Hyundai f'er better work
2. MAF - 0290217532 didn't need it but, meh
3. Brass Bleed Screw - I heard this adds 5 hps due to the cooling capabilities of brass
4. Thermostat - PEM100990 existing one is full of surprises
5. Fuel Door Latch - didn't need it but, meh
6. GROM Audio - Now I can listen to my iPhone instead of using the tape deck

If Lucky8 does a Presidents sale tomorrow, I will be spending some big bucks. If not, I will start to take apart the dash because I am sure there is a pot of gold back there.

Last edited by Friday Night Disco; 02-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench

Update

I replaced the MAF & Purge Valve

P0441 showed up again with multi misfires after about 20 minutes of driving

I cleaned the gas cap and filler opening with some scotch brite.

Ran Tricky Dick around the block. misfire codes came back but, no P0441. If P0441 comes back, the only thing left to do is to replace the vacuum line on the inlet side.

However, Tricky Dick overheated so I had to stop the test early and park (need that new thermostat ASAP).

Also, I installed the GROM Audio, Brass Bleed Screw, and Fuel Door Latch

Old 02-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Update

I replaced the MAF & Purge Valve

P0441 showed up again with multi misfires after about 20 minutes of driving

I cleaned the gas cap and filler opening with some scotch brite.

Ran Tricky Dick around the block. misfire codes came back but, no P0441. If P0441 comes back, the only thing left to do is to replace the vacuum line on the inlet side.

However, Tricky Dick overheated so I had to stop the test early and park (need that new thermostat ASAP).

Also, I installed the GROM Audio, Brass Bleed Screw, and Fuel Door Latch
so tricky dicky strikes again. I ordered new plug wires (ngk yea I know!!!) for the now named "panty dropper" and started getting misfire codes like crazy. Horrible horrible wires. So I went a head and order some kingsborne wires and will see how they do. I know a lot swear by magnecor but I personally think the kingsborne are just as well.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
so tricky dicky strikes again. I ordered new plug wires (ngk yea I know!!!) for the now named "panty dropper" and started getting misfire codes like crazy. Horrible horrible wires. So I went a head and order some kingsborne wires and will see how they do. I know a lot swear by magnecor but I personally think the kingsborne are just as well.
I believe, according to my calculations, your truck just went up in value by at least $5,000

I have been holding off on coil packs, wires, and plugs till someone around here completes the coil relocation project

I am not entirely sold that those are the problems just yet as I am seeing misfires on #4 and #3. I am suspecting that my new front O2's are causing my old rears to act up or that somehow my new MAF added a new element to the problem.

Plus, I am not going to close the book on P0411 just yet till I can get some more miles.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I believe, according to my calculations, your truck just went up in value by at least $5,000

I have been holding off on coil packs, wires, and plugs till someone around here completes the coil relocation project

I am not entirely sold that those are the problems just yet as I am seeing misfires on #4 and #3. I am suspecting that my new front O2's are causing my old rears to act up or that somehow my new MAF added a new element to the problem.

Plus, I am not going to close the book on P0411 just yet till I can get some more miles.
well I wasn't getting the misfire codes before. It wasn't until I put a Japanese product on something designed by a Brit that it started going crazy. The only code I had before hand was the o2 sensor so I know it's the ngk wires. U get what you pay for and the panty dropper is a sensitive being

Quick Reply: Tricky Dick - P0441