Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 970 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Buy a used one on eBay I paid 70 bucks for one
Just checked, looks like 175. Not 70, but still a lot better. Thanks again! This is looking possible.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Do a web search there is a place here in mass. i can think of the name off hand.That has been putting turbos tr8's for years. TR8 is a rover engine. If anyone can give you tried and try results it woild he them.
The Wedge Shop.

GL op. I'm more a fan of popping an Eaton on there.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Awesome, I'll give em a call, thanks!

I actually considered an Eaton first, but then though about heat soak, and how I'm going through the whole exhaust anyway, and how I'd have to upgrade injectors and fueling for either, and I do looovveee that turbo sound.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Awesome, I'll give em a call, thanks!

I actually considered an Eaton first, but then though about heat soak, and how I'm going through the whole exhaust anyway, and how I'd have to upgrade injectors and fueling for either, and I do looovveee that turbo sound.
Subscribed.

We're would you mount the intercooler? Mud bogs will be your arch nemesis!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by coors
Subscribed.

We're would you mount the intercooler? Mud bogs will be your arch nemesis!
I'm thinking under the radiator in front of the air dam, guard it up really well underneath and to the sides with steel to protect from rocks, and have wire mesh a couple inches in front. Probably mount it at an angle too, like the mesh on the bottom of the factory bumper.

It's pretty rare that I mud, but I'd probably have a steel plate slide in in front for when I do and just lose my intercooler ability.

This will be a long te coming. I'll have to just buy parts as I have money and hope it works when it's finally slapped together.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Camel Trophy

I've been looking around but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know a source on upgraded injectors? I seem to remember Dusty mentioning something in his engine rebuild thread, but I can't seem to find anything. I'd like to go up to atleast a 24#, maybe a little higher to be safe.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

One big problem with swapping out the injectors is the limited space between the intake and the plenum on the Bosch motor.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

If I had to wager a guess, I'd imagine that there might be something off of the BMW parts shelf that might fit.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:41 AM
Camel Trophy

BMW! Of course. I'll get to looking there. Might also call Bosch and see if they can be if any help.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

you are getting into engineering territory. There are some things to think about. You cant change the acceleration enrichment by manipulating MAF signal. BUT you can manipulate it by raising/lowering fuel pressure. The way I got my supercharged A4 quattro to run perfect was by cranking the fuel pressure up to 60 lbs from 40ish and put bigger injectors in and then turned the MAF signal way down. In your case. you WILL need at LEAST a 1:2 rise in fuel pressure per PSI boost to get the airflow change in control. You wont make boost from idle so you need to match the fueling to the pressure curve. (you will have 2 enrichment points 1 off idle and 1 when boost hits, the computer is open loop at that point and too clueless to know that there is a turbine that is going to be pushing another half an atmosphere in.) You need to be there with fuel BEFORE the air hits.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 4.6 V8