Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boost

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Close. With a turbo you actually keep the stoichiometric ratio. If you increased (or more correctly, decreased) from 14.7:1 you would be running lean and melt the pistons. When you turbo, you also have to increase your fuel output.
Just thought the way you worded it was funny and wanted to make sure you knew what you were talking about. I'm thinking more along the grenade route myself. Would be cool to see tho.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

So back to the injectors, does anyone know if it will flow more if I just removed the metering plate on the bottom? I've heard of some Subaru guys doing that and gaining 25-30% flow, just with less atomization of the fuel.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Just get some bigger Bosch injectors out of the junk yard. Just get 8 Supercharged chevy 6 cylinder injectors, they are huge. Then crank down the MAF signal and go from there.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Old 08-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Camel Trophy

Just saw those two comments, thanks RMT.

Just figured I'd update. I've been looking and researching. Looks like the ONLY chance of this working will be if I remove all the SAI, run a snorkel on the passengers side with the turbo sitting where the SAI pump is. Even with that, piping is going to be tight as hell. Exhaust will have to be run 2.5" down, y'd together into 3" pipe below the engine, and run back up to the turbo. Piping the exhaust back out could be tricky and I'm debating on a front dump exhaust with 3" pipe and nothing but a small resonator, but it might be possible to do a side dump with a 14" body magnapack.

Intake will be run from a passengers side snorkel, down through the quarter panel into the turbo, then down to an intercooler in between the frame rails in the front with a custom bumper to allow air flow through it then piped back up to the MAF and then coupled into the throttle body.

This is beginning to look like a more expensive endeavor with the custom bumper, need for a NON-SAI computer, and lots of tightly fitted mandrel bent piping because crush bends simply wouldn't work this tight. This project might have to go on the back burner for a while because I've decided I really want to build a rusty LS powered '73 Charger.

Last edited by Alex_M; 08-09-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Just saw those two comments, thanks RMT.

Just figured I'd update. I've been looking and researching. Looks like the ONLY chance of this working will be if I remove all the SAI, run a snorkel on the passengers side with the turbo sitting where the SAI pump is. Even with that, piping is going to be tight as hell. Exhaust will have to be run 2.5" down, y'd together into 3" pipe below the engine, and run back up to the turbo. Piping the exhaust back out could be tricky and I'm debating on a front dump exhaust with 3" pipe and nothing but a small resonator, but it might be possible to do a side dump with a 14" body magnapack.

Intake will be run from a passengers side snorkel, down through the quarter panel into the turbo, then down to an intercooler in between the frame rails in the front with a custom bumper to allow air flow through it then piped back up to the MAF and then coupled into the throttle body.

This is beginning to look like a more expensive endeavor with the custom bumper, need for a NON-SAI computer, and lots of tightly fitted mandrel bent piping because crush bends simply wouldn't work this tight. This project might have to go on the back burner for a while because I've decided I really want to build a rusty LS powered '73 Charger.
A charger is 2wd. Disregard.

Removing the SAI: yank it all out and use the ports that go into the heads as plugs. Just fill with welding material. Gives you a little room.

If I had a non SAI ECU/BCU I would send it to you in the name of science. Are they expensive? Or don't they just give you a dash light if they aren't working?

Be a hero!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, I can't disregard the charger, that's gonna be my next daily driver! Plus, slap some Muds on it and weld on some rectangle steel tube in place of the rusted out rockers and I can take it to the desert just the same I mean, just look at this beauty.

Name:  seOOi28.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  937.1 KB

Yea, that is the SAI plan. I actually just uncooked and plugged the vacuum lines to see if it would throw a code and it did (I was hoping it just tested for an electrical load on the pump), so there's a sensor somewhere. I actually don't know how much the ECU/BCU is, but I know I don't have enough money for all the mandrel bent piping. Heck, I don't have any money right now, so it would be a while coming either way. You were actually my first thought on the ECU since you're doing your swap, but I remembered you were sticking with the non-sai. Bummer!

It is possible to just unhook it all and live with the codes, but I'd rather not.

Last edited by Alex_M; 08-09-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, I can't disregard the charger, that's gonna be my next daily driver! Plus, slap some Muds on it and weld on some rectangle steel tube in place of the rusted out rockers and I can take it to the desert just the same I mean, just look at this beauty.

Yea, that is the SAI plan. I actually just uncooked and plugged the vacuum lines to see if it would throw a code and it did (I was hoping it just tested for an electrical load on the pump), so there's a sensor somewhere. I actually don't know how much the ECU/BCU is, but I know I don't have enough money for all the mandrel bent piping. Heck, I don't have any money right now, so it would be a while coming either way. You were actually my first thought on the ECU since you're doing your swap, but I remembered you were sticking with the non-sai. Bummer!

It is possible to just unhook it all and live with the codes, but I'd rather not.
Unfortunately my spare computers are SAI so... DAMMIT.

Maybe just a turbo whistle on the tailpipe.

That charger is is real beauty!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, who doesn't love a good turbo whistle? Then you've just got to simulate BOV flutter some how.

You're being kind, it's actually pretty ugly covered in sh*t and rusty. Has nice body lines though. Hoping I can trade my parts Disco for it.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, who doesn't love a good turbo whistle? Then you've just got to simulate BOV flutter some how.

You're being kind, it's actually pretty ugly covered in sh*t and rusty. Has nice body lines though. Hoping I can trade my parts Disco for it.
A parts Disco should be standard equipment for a Disco. Saved my bacon TODAY (front driveshaft)

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 4.6 V8