Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharging a 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Ok, so I've come up with what night be kind of a stupid idea, but I'm asking to be sure.

5 lbs of boost is a 34% increase over stock air flow.

A 34% increase over 19 lb injectors would be just shy of 25.5 lbs. About a lb and a half more than those 24 lb injectors.

If I were to install those injectors and increase fuel pressure by either:

A.) an aftermarket fuel pump, which I will likely need anyway when I Bob the back if my truck because I'll have to shorten the fuel tank.

B.) stick a cut off valve on the fuel return line to close it or atleast bottle neck it some.

Shoot me straight, would this work? I mean, I'm sure it would run filthy pig rich at idle, but I'm not worried about that. I'm just curious if this would keep me from leaning out once I was on boost?

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

why wouldn't you simple replace the factory fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable aftermarket unit ?

Old 12-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
why wouldn't you simple replace the factory fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable aftermarket unit ?
This. Bump the fuel pressure up. By using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator you can "dial-in" your pressure.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Awesome, that sounds great! And this way I can put off getting a tune for a while, correct?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Awesome, that sounds great! And this way I can put off getting a tune for a while, correct?
Bosch uses a returnless fuel system. You will have to replumb the vehicle and change the in tank pump to use an adjustable regulator. Then you have the problem of an ECM you cant modify calculating injector pw based on a fixed pressure and a system with a variable pressure

Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by robertf
Bosch uses a returnless fuel system. You will have to replumb the vehicle and change the in tank pump to use an adjustable regulator. Then you have the problem of an ECM you cant modify calculating injector pw based on a fixed pressure and a system with a variable pressure
Ok, so returnless system. Why would I need to re-plumb the vehicle and replace the in tank pump in order to use an aftermarket fixed pressure regulator? Could I not just remove the factory regulator and add the aftermarket one in line and keep the factory pump?

Lots of questions, but I haven't done much work on the factory fuel system so I don't know all the details on how it works compared to a standard fixed pressure return style system.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Why not just use the in tank pump as a feeder tube and install an online pump?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Ok, so returnless system. Why would I need to re-plumb the vehicle and replace the in tank pump in order to use an aftermarket fixed pressure regulator? Could I not just remove the factory regulator and add the aftermarket one in line and keep the factory pump?

Lots of questions, but I haven't done much work on the factory fuel system so I don't know all the details on how it works compared to a standard fixed pressure return style system.
you would need to add a return line so the external regulator has somewhere to dump the excess fuel

you would need to replace the in tank pump because of its internal regulator.

youll also need something to activate a pneumatic valve so when engine pressure is above atmospheric pressure the regulator is referencing engine pressure instead of atmo.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Inline not o line. Ugh. When I was on a diesel kick that was the recommended course for adapting our tanks and pumps. Just remove the pump motor and mount and inline pump where your new fuel filter is.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea, if I tried to use the drivers side manifold it would literally end up inside the valve cover, no way it would work upside down.

I'm also having trouble finding 5lb wastegate for these KO3s I'm getting from coors. I'm going to call up some manufacturers and see if I can find any 5lb internal wastegate. If I can't then I'll have to make block off plates and run external wastegates. We'll see.
Have you considered using turbos off of a Volvo 2.4T? They are 13g's and they are used to add about 6 psi of boost. They are blow-off internally so that everything that flows through the MAF stays downstream of it.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging a 4.6 V8