Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two and a half amigos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two and a half amigos?

As I was dropping my kids off at school this morning, the ABS, (TC), and BRAKE light came on when I pushed on the brakes. HDC light never came on.

Should I be following the same stickys that apply to the three amigos, or is this likely something else? I have searched the terms "3 amigos," "amigos," and "three amigos" and am not seeing any guidance. Also, there was mention of a guy in the classifieds who will rent out his ABS Amigo but I can't find him. I haven't tried bleeding the brakes yet. Is there a sticky on that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First thing you need to do is find someone with a scanner that can read the fault codes, only when the lights are on, then look at what repair is needed.
When finishing your repair, the do a full 2 quart DOT 4 brake flush.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Mudding

So I got back in the Disco at lunch with the mission in mind to get a one man brake line bleeder (the one with the little bottle was the only one I saw at Harbor Freight) and some brake fluid. The lights weren't on. I decided to use it as a hint that I should bleed the brakes anyway as preventative maintenance. I will bleed them soon (likely after work tomorrow or Saturday AM) and see if the lights come back.
So, any news on why my Downhill Assist light didn't light up? Does that mean something? I was close to pulling the trigger on an ABS Amigo, but would like to rent one if someone close will let me. I am in Rocklin, CA.

Also decided to get a K&N air filter while I was at Auto Zone. It should be available for pickup tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Joshman; 05-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Hold off on bleeding the brakes till you know what is wrong. If you bleed them now then find out you have to rebuild the module, you will just have to bleed it again.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Mudding

When I said bleed, I should have said flush. PO was religious on taking it to the dealer for service, but I am not sure if ANY fluids have been flushed ever. My list of to-dos on this is long. Been reading for the past 30 minutes about coolant and brake fluids becoming harbingers of doom, so now I want to get to flushing right away.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Dealers never flush systems unless you ask fot it and at around $150 for each, most don't do it.
Go read the sticky I posted at the top of this section and do it all, even if you think it is OK.
You don't have a fuel filter, should already have heated sets as an SE7 and don't forget the other fluid like the diffs, power steering, ACE if you have it and retorquing every nut and bolt under your truck with a breaker bar.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Mudding

Thanks Mike. Funny facts about this Rover:
Although the badging is for an SE7, only 5 seats are in it, and I confirmed through a dealer that it left the dealership with 5 seats. They cannot say whether or not it was an SE7 or an SE. I would assume that the badging was just added later to explain the discrepancy, but it has the same amount of oxidation on it as the rest of the badging. So weird.
I don't have heated seats, but want them badly. Was going to buy them from AB, but held off. Glad I waited for summer, because the kit is now $20 cheaper. Going to order and have them ready for next winter.
On the advice of a friend of mine who has owned 10+ Rovers, I sought out an '04 because of the locking diff. He also told me to look for one without ACE and with coils, to minimize problems. I love my Rover, and feel like I got the right one for me.
Your statement about the fuel filter was a bit of a surprise, because I thought I had read the entire sticky on what to do for 60k+ service. I will go read more. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Mudding

Through a separate search I found out about the lack of fuel filter. Thanks again, Mike.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Administrator

If you have leather interior, you have the seat heater, all you will need are the 2 switches and the trim panel.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Mudding

Right, the heated seat activation kit was $95 during the winter, and is down to $74 now. Likely buying in August and having them ready for cold fall mornings.