Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultilizing extra buttons for light bar please

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Ultilizing extra buttons for light bar please

As mentioned in another thread I want to install a new 40" lightbar I bought on the roof and I want to be able to turn it on and off using one of the original spare buttons located in the odometer console bezel. Right now the button is blank and does not push in, is there any way to set it up like a function button and what would I have to order to do the wiring? Please help. Im a noob when it comes to electronics.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

You can do it, but there's a "but".
The fog light switches aren't on/off in the same way that the cruise control switch is.
So, what most folks do is buy a replacement cruise control switch, then change over the plastic face on the switch with the auxilliary 2 switch.

So it does end up a little pricey for what is just a ratcheting switch, but it does let you do what you want.

A second option would be to replace your ashtray with the 3 carrier switch from a discovery 1. You can get the carrier from expedition exchange. Only problem is that the carrier is gray and our 04's have a black dash.

Finally, for less than the cost of the cruise control and aux OEM switches, I bought a MudPod and am going to install some carling switches in that for running the winch, oil pressure gauge and water temp. Once I'm done with that install, I hope that it'll also look stock.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
You can do it, but there's a "but".
The fog light switches aren't on/off in the same way that the cruise control switch is.
So, what most folks do is buy a replacement cruise control switch, then change over the plastic face on the switch with the auxilliary 2 switch.

So it does end up a little pricey for what is just a ratcheting switch, but it does let you do what you want.

I dont understand why I would need to buy another switch when I already have extras in the truck. I have one spare button on the drover side below the fuel door release button as seen in the pic, then I have 2 more spare buttons under the hill decent control and emergency flasher buttons. So why cant I just use one of them?

Name:  IMAG0754_zps3717486a.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0945_zpsstxcb87p.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  70.8 KB

and for the record the light bar I ordered comes with a harness:

Amazon.com: OC Gizmo 40" 240W Watts LED Light Bar ATV Jeep Off Road Truck Boat Tractor Trailer With Wiring Harness: Automotive Amazon.com: OC Gizmo 40" 240W Watts LED Light Bar ATV Jeep Off Road Truck Boat Tractor Trailer With Wiring Harness: Automotive

Last edited by TRIARII; 11-16-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Those aren't buttons, they are blanks. You need a latching button. You will notice that your foglight switch does not have an on off position, that is because it is working through the BECM.

I have a cruise control switch(latching) and a switch face plate (fog switch)I could sell you.

Pm me if interested.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

You can
I just know that you're on a budget is all.

Landrover has luckily continued to reuse the same switch assemblies over the years. The square buttons where your hazards are, debuted in the Range Rover classic, as such aux light buttons from that truck will probably go in place of your existing blanks.

You currently don't have extra switches, just blanks where extra switches can be added. Let me find the link from a guy who's done this already. It's the disco2 UK website where he shows how to take a cruise control switch, add it in place of a blank, then put the aux2 cover on it to power his rack lights. I'm putting my wee boy to bed, I'll update the post with the link once he's down for the night.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 11-25-2014, 07:07 PM
TReK

Can you guys please help me figure out the wiring on my D2? The lightbar came with a harness and a cheap switch. I want to use a spare cruise control switch to active the light bar. I took everybody's advice and purchased a spare used CC switch and extra faceplates. I got the CC switch installed in the bezel and I have the wiring harness hooked up to the battery, and to the ground on the fender and i have the other end of it weaved around the engine bay and through the firewall under the steering wheel. Im stuck at this point. I cut off the cheap switch that came with the harness and revealed 3 wires. Black, Blue and White. The white plastic piece on the back of the cruise control switch has 5 ports labeled 1-5 and just 4 wires coming out of it. So which wires do I connect to where? I tried connecting white to port 1, black to port 5 and I managed to get the amber light to lit up when then button is pressed in but the lightbar did not turn on. I made a video for you to check out. Please help me figure this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMe...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Can you guys please help me figure out the wiring on my D2? The lightbar came with a harness and a cheap switch. I want to use a spare cruise control switch to active the light bar. I took everybody's advice and purchased a spare used CC switch and extra faceplates. I got the CC switch installed in the bezel and I have the wiring harness hooked up to the battery, and to the ground on the fender and i have the other end of it weaved around the engine bay and through the firewall under the steering wheel. Im stuck at this point. I cut off the cheap switch that came with the harness and revealed 3 wires. Black, Blue and White. The white plastic piece on the back of the cruise control switch has 5 ports labeled 1-5 and just 4 wires coming out of it. So which wires do I connect to where? I tried connecting white to port 1, black to port 5 and I managed to get the amber light to lit up when then button is pressed in but the lightbar did not turn on. I made a video for you to check out. Please help me figure this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMe...ature=youtu.be

Did you even bother reading what Rover_Hokie so graciously posted for you? It's all in there.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by coors
Did you even bother reading what Rover_Hokie so graciously posted for you? It's all in there.

Yes i did but my setup is not exactly the same because i dont have 4 separate offroad lights, and im not using a aux fuse panel. Abran was kind enough to guide me through the process over the phone and even with his help the bar still does not light up.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

TRIARII,

I am not an expert and still have not wired my lights, but have all the parts to finally get it done. If I read one of your earlier post correctly it sounds like you are switching the power to the lights with the dash switch the way you described your efforts so far. In simple theory this would work as you create the flow of current and use the switch to switch the flow on or off, but the idea of the dash switch is to actually activate (switch) the relay not the lights directly. I prefer my relays under the hood to keep the heavy loads out from under the dash, but again, I am no expert.

The idea of the relay is that you tell the relay to let the power pass between the battery to the lights through the relay not through the dash switch. The dash switch simply tells the relay when to do its job to allow the current to flow and then not to flow, thus keeping the "heavy lifting" out of the dash and dash switch and allowing the heavy duty relay with the proper amp rating and fuse to handle the load that your light(s) will draw based on the specs on the light(s) installed. Wiring gauge to use to/from the relay would need to be heavier to carry the light(s) current draw, and the wire to the dash switch could be smaller wire, that is why I tend to like the idea of the relays under the hood closer to the battery.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 11-27-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultilizing extra buttons for light bar please