Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultilizing extra buttons for light bar please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
TRIARII,

I am not an expert and still have not wired my lights, but have all the parts to finally get it done. If I read one of your earlier post correctly it sounds like you are switching the power to the lights with the dash switch the way you described your efforts so far. In simple theory this would work as you create the flow of current and use the switch to switch the flow on or off, but the idea of the dash switch is to actually activate (switch) the relay not the lights directly. I prefer my relays under the hood to keep the heavy loads out from under the dash, but again, I am no expert.

The idea of the relay is that you tell the relay to let the power pass between the battery to the lights through the relay not through the dash switch. The dash switch simply tells the relay when to do its job to allow the current to flow and then not to flow, thus keeping the "heavy lifting" out of the dash and dash switch and allowing the heavy duty relay with the proper amp rating and fuse to handle the load that your light(s) will draw based on the specs on the light(s) installed. Wiring gauge to use to/from the relay would need to be heavier to carry the light(s) current draw, and the wire to the dash switch could be smaller wire, that is why I tend to like the idea of the relays under the hood closer to the battery.
Thanks for the input and trying to help. Electrical is just not my thing. I spent hours trying to figure it all out, and spent at least an hour on the phone with Abran as he attempted to guide me through the process and I still cant get them working. I can work on mechanical things with alittle direct instruction and it dont take me long to "get it" but something about wiring electrical is just to overwhelming for me. Worse still we just got our first major snow storm and the temps have dropped in New England so the last thing I want to do is spend hours outside in the freezing cold trying to figure out how to wire a light bar..... Ive given up on this project and instead Im just going to pay a friend/mechanic to wire the lightbar for me. I need him to install my new 4" S brake lines and a couple other things that I dont feel like doing so ill just kill a couple birds with one stone and have it all done in a day.

Thanks again all for trying to help. I hate electrician.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

If your windshield has been replaced with one that does not have a a heating element you can wire your light bar to the harnesses located right above the bulkhead and use the front defrost button to turn them on.

I did it and my truck has yet to catch fire.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts