Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021 | 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Any updates on this build?

Old 10-14-2021 | 08:08 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by TimInNova
Any updates on this build?
Things have been busy. I did get some rebuilt driveshafts in it from a local driveshaft shop. We took an inch or so out of the rear shaft. I wanted to use a custom setup from Tom Woods, but unfortunately they had a custom driveshaft lead time of months. The rebuilt driveshafts will work for now. The electric fans have been working good at keeping the temps solid with the factory radiator so far.

We’ve also been really backed up on our other projects. I had to go back to focusing on our D2 LS swap kits for now.

Will be back on it as soon as possible.

The following users liked this post:
TimInNova (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 12:58 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TimInNova
Maybe you can source this little dual-purpose gauge from LRA:

Tim… Got a weblink for LRA?

Old 10-15-2021 | 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling
JUKE179r (10-16-2021)
Old 12-11-2021 | 07:37 PM
|
Mudding

Working on finishing this project up! Dynamat is now installed.

Front interior is now in.

Should be coming together soon

The_OGCJR (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021 | 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

This is awesome. Idk why I didn’t see this thread before.

ACEngineer (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021 | 05:53 PM
Mudding

This is an awesome build.

Have you guys found a better solution for the intake routing yet? What about a carb style intake manifold with an elbow pointing towards the driver side? I don't keep up with gen 5 engines, I'm mainly into gen 3/4 LS stuff and have never messed with carb manifolds to be honest, but it seems feasable. Don't think any off the shelf solutions exist for gen 5 intake manifolds of that type, but there might be adapter plates available to adapt LS manifolds to the LT.

Just my thoughts. I think that'd look pretty cool if it's doable and be a tidier solution if going to the stock airbox location.

ACEngineer (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021 | 07:27 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by 11chuck
This is an awesome build.

Have you guys found a better solution for the intake routing yet? What about a carb style intake manifold with an elbow pointing towards the driver side? I don't keep up with gen 5 engines, I'm mainly into gen 3/4 LS stuff and have never messed with carb manifolds to be honest, but it seems feasable. Don't think any off the shelf solutions exist for gen 5 intake manifolds of that type, but there might be adapter plates available to adapt LS manifolds to the LT.

Just my thoughts. I think that'd look pretty cool if it's doable and be a tidier solution if going to the stock airbox location.
There are actually a couple of options. The flex-tube in the earlier pictures was a temporary solution. Usually we recommend to people to purchase the Air-Raid kit that includes a couple bends in hard plastic. You can shape it however you like and it looks good. I have it on my personal Disco and I like it a lot.

Another option is to flip the intake around 180 so that it’s facing toward the firewall, then do a quick turn back towards the front. I don’t really like the way this looks and I am not sure if it would work on a Discovery with how the firewall is. It would have to be a really tight turn.

We have in the works a new GM-based accessory system (GM alt / GM power steering / LR AC) for our Gen 3 swap kits. This should put the AC compressor down lower and more to the side at a flatter angle. I am hoping this will allow a turn and straight into the airbox setup. That won’t be ready for this build though.

Old 06-25-2022 | 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
There are actually a couple of options. The flex-tube in the earlier pictures was a temporary solution. Usually we recommend to people to purchase the Air-Raid kit that includes a couple bends in hard plastic. You can shape it however you like and it looks good. I have it on my personal Disco and I like it a lot.

Another option is to flip the intake around 180 so that it’s facing toward the firewall, then do a quick turn back towards the front. I don’t really like the way this looks and I am not sure if it would work on a Discovery with how the firewall is. It would have to be a really tight turn.

We have in the works a new GM-based accessory system (GM alt / GM power steering / LR AC) for our Gen 3 swap kits. This should put the AC compressor down lower and more to the side at a flatter angle. I am hoping this will allow a turn and straight into the airbox setup. That won’t be ready for this build though.
Hows are things going?

Old 08-17-2022 | 12:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Looks great. What did you put over the Dynamat?

I’m looking for some inspiration because I’d like to remove the carpet from mine since it’s going to see a good bit of sand and water.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Discovery 2