Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UltraGauge Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

It seems to me, having watched the UG threads over the years (that's how long it takes me to make a decision) that the principle use for them is to watch water temperature with an alarm. That could save you a head gasket or worse. What it doesn't monitor is oil pressure, unless I am missing something, and that would save you much worse. It seems that a vast majority of people who get the UG setup already have code readers, or they wouldn't have the savvy to be concerned about codes.

Our water temperature gauge is a joke and a disservice. It was chosen to keep a steady stream of business in Land Rover service departments and was approved by the towing union. If it didn't tell me when I could finally turn the heat on I'd say just replace it with a dummy light or maybe a signal flare or white flag that alerts nearby tow trucks. Whether using a code reader or a UG you are getting the temperature from the sensor at the top of the upper intake, instead of from the coolant hoses. That might make a difference or not.

The UG is indeed cheap. It is also another gizmo.

I should add that I am old and generally appalled by the electronic wizardry in our trucks, when it goes wrong. Nothing is worse than a rogue wizard--there is an excellent documentary on that called Lord of The Rings. Also see the 1976 Stephen King documentary about a Land Rover disguised as a muscle car, Carrie. Figuring out the true problem from codes can sometimes be like sifting rhino scat to find out why he can't run fast when chased. For the thousandth time, I wish I'd gotten a Disco I, which was sold new in tandem with the Disco II when I bought mine. Better frame--galvanized and from a defender, no less--less electronics. Better rear overhang. If I had a Disco I would be sporting a 1 wire mercedes diesel engine right now and getting 25 mpg driving to my bunker in Wyoming; my future would be bright and assured. I could stick magnetic signs more places. I'd have an R380 transmission. I'd not live with the dread of immobilization. I probably wouldn't have a permanent yellow spot in my vision from the three amigos. I'd have a locking CDL shifter. I'd be able to change the bearings in my hubs. I'd fit in compact parking. I could go on but I shouldn't, lest my regret overwhelm me.

Bluetooth is cool and cheap and I always have a phone with me, though it might not be Android or iPhone (my spare is a Blackberry. Hahah that tells the luddite tale, doesn't it?). To my generation the word Android conjures a sentient robot that secretly plots its master's demise in tension with the three laws. If you insert "Land Rover" for 'robot" in Asimov's three laws you will see how far we have gone in the wrong direction that we need an UG to watch our robot.

So, reading this it seems to me that gauges and the already generally possessed code reader (I have three, and one is ALWAYS plugged in; such is the electronic worthiness of our vehicles), or maybe a Bluetooth and gauges if you don't already have the code reader, is the way to go. Just my 1 cent worth.

Now off to Amazon to order bits for gauges because I can't resist a mod, even/especially when everything is working right because there is always an end to that.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-06-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Charlie_V, Very entertaining post. I too am an old guy (61 and counting), I guess you could say I am OCD about certain things. One of them being, having bulky add-ons on my dash, suction cupped on my windscreen, etc. The two things I want to see at all times(whether this vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter) are oil pressure and coolant temp. I have a wifi obdII that is connected by cable and run under my dash and use DashCommand on an iPhone 6.(It can display on my 2-din 7" head unit via hdmi). And you are right, the only thing that is helpful to me is the coolant temp. It too will diagnose and clear codes, but not abs, transmission(have a reader the will do those). I have looked at the HUD displays, but more expense and nothing I can't see already. The likely alternative for me is to get the 2-pod, pillar mounted gauges, that I saw a while back on one of the posts on here or DWeb. While maybe not the best alternative, seems to me to be the least obtrusive.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Charlie_V, Very entertaining post. I too am an old guy (61 and counting), I guess you could say I am OCD about certain things. One of them being, having bulky add-ons on my dash, suction cupped on my windscreen, etc. The two things I want to see at all times(whether this vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter) are oil pressure and coolant temp. I have a wifi obdII that is connected by cable and run under my dash and use DashCommand on an iPhone 6.(It can display on my 2-din 7" head unit via hdmi). And you are right, the only thing that is helpful to me is the coolant temp. It too will diagnose and clear codes, but not abs, transmission(have a reader the will do those). I have looked at the HUD displays, but more expense and nothing I can't see already. The likely alternative for me is to get the 2-pod, pillar mounted gauges, that I saw a while back on one of the posts on here or DWeb. While maybe not the best alternative, seems to me to be the least obtrusive.
Totally agree. I just ordered a pillar mount three pod, coolant temp gauge, oil pressure gauge and sandwich setup, and a battery voltmeter (digital, sadly). My very own luddite ultra gauge. Now if I can find my old bag phone, life will be complete.

I couldnt find a head gasket gauge so the other three monitor the second, third, and fourth systems that have let me down or stressed me out the most.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-06-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
My little wi-fi unit and DashCommand do that with an iPod touch in the centre of my cluster. Cheap (if you happen to have an old iPod or iPhone kicking around). And a way nicer looking screen than that too.
I use a similar system except it's a bluetooth unit and my cell phone.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
It's not being cheap to look for alternative options, its being frugal. There's a big difference. I myself don't own an ultrahauge and never plan to. I spent $8 on a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle for codes and another $20 on a real electrical water temp gauge mounted on the bottom of the dash.
Alex, thanks for clarifying. I like that idea of the $20 temp gauge. I mean I think anyone would rather spend $20 than $80. Can you please post a link to the temp gauge you have or give us its name? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If I were to use this $20 gauge, could I tap into the truck's existing temperature sensor or do I have to add one? If I have to add one, where in the cooling system should I add it? Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:25 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

The Ultra Gauge is good value for the money.

An app on your phone and a dedicated device are two different products for two different needs.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-06-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Cam, I'll do a quick write up tomorrow and send it to you. I'm putting the reminder in my phone now.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoCam (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Cam, I'll do a quick write up tomorrow and send it to you. I'm putting the reminder in my phone now.
Thank you so much Alex.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Ultragauge - I do use it for the water temperature, but I also have the battery voltage displayed. I've used it to track and clear DTC's (mostly misfires). I did have a cheap Actron reader, but it was stolen so now I use the UG for all my ODBII needs. I've also used it to check my MAF function, diagnosed a failed O2 sensor with it, and monitored all four O2's. I've used it to confirm function of TPS. Finally, I use it to monitor Intake Air Temperature. The reason I'm interested in that is because I made efforts to lower my underhood temperatures so my onboard air compressor wouldn't cut-off from overheating before my tires were inflated (I was very successful by the way). I've also used the UG which I keep mounted in my LR on two other cars just to read codes.

My D1 is only partially compatible with OBDII. Later model cars feed far more sensor information to OBDII and it makes OBDII and the UG far more valuable. So much so that I think a Bluetooth reader and tablet would be even better. But for my D1, the available data is still useful, and the UG is enough to display it.

Quick Reply: UltraGauge Alternative