Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undetectable noise. front left wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Undetectable noise. front left wheel.

I'm curious about your hub replacement because it sounds like your outside wheel bearing is bad. Were the bearings and the races all replaced with the new hub? Also, why did you replace the hubs?(just curious.)

Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relpaced the Hubs out of a bad guess. And because the noise resembled a bad bearing. Replaced both because I read at these forum that if you replaced only 1 It wouldnt last Too long

There is a link on my last reply with a picture of the actual Bearing.

Both Drive Shafts have a little play but Mechanic says it is Normal and the way it should be they were just rectified and balanced.
But they both seem pretty new for my Millage. 67 K

Nothing as far as We ( workshop with a lot of good will and myself ) Can see Checked the CV Joints and wheel bearing.
Still Checking workshop manual for centering ball I cant find anything. Could You please be a Little bit more specific?
What am I looking for?

Also rotated wheels.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, so you jacked up the L front tire and found not play or popping in it. Did you look at the rotor and pads? The centering ball is in the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft.

Can you have someone drive around in tight circles while you stand outside of the truck?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling

I Actually Took the entire thing appart. Nothing obvious... Work shop is charging me 120 just for taking it all appart and telling me it all looks good (It sounds reasonable )... he insists I change all 4 wheels and Shocks and see what happens.
Tires are worn unevenly and shocks look realy Used. You should have seen the places my G Father took this car to. I will wait till sound becomes more aparent or something comes of, What is the worse that can Happen???. Radio is loud enough.

I will go ahead and do it .... Planing on changing shocks for Bilsteins since I read Something on another forum from disco Mike saying NO MONROE SHOCKS[:@] and seems he knows a lot and recomends bilsteins as well as OKDISCOGUY ... I wil buy them on e Bay and keep You Posted.

Can I just Buy any Shocks? I am not shure if my car has active cornering or not. How can I be shure and does this matter at all. ?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Any one?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Any one at all ... not even to say helloooooo?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi. I dont know if eny one will read this but I have finally narrowed down the noise to CV Joints and U Joints... there were actually 2 noises when accelerating .... I had to much trust un my life time shop and believed everything he said .... there was actually some play on the drive shaft and after questioning him about it he said it was normal , and I believed him ... I nearly cost my tranny because you shoud have seen the u joints ....So I will try to listen more , read more about LR and be more humble next time... Actually I havent changed the cv joints because they havent arrived at the shop yet but I am still using my truck daily,,,I hope there is no further damage,,, I summed up all the UN Necesary things I changed on my truck and I am very aware of how much precipitated desicions cost and how much I would have saved If I followed your intuition instead of mine.

Thanks evey one

Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar symptom on a 2004 S.
When turning right with power applied and accelerating I have a metallic 'twanging' (like a strong metal wire vibrating) noise / vibration coming from the left front wheel.
Thought it would be the shock absorber but it only happens when weight is applied over the left front wheel.
Reading this thread I think it's most likely the CV joint(s) and the driveshaft Universal joint.
Can anyone advise if these 'rover parts' URL's are the correct components?

CV Joint:
CV Joint Discovery II (TDR100790 Same Fit As Part # TDR100790 ) - Land Rover axles & casings-cv joints-bearings from Atlantic British

Universal Joint:
Land Rover Universal Joint - Propeller Shaft (Same Fit As Genuine Part # TVC100010)

Disco II 'S' from 2004.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by 2004S; 06-25-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you would wiser to start a new thread than jumping on one that's been dead 6-years.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK thanks.