Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Tranny Cooler Line Driving. Me. Craaazy

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Mudding
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Upper Tranny Cooler Line Driving. Me. Craaazy

What a mess... the line severed loose from the crimp and leaked everywhere.

Anyone try and retrofit the line of the upper tranny cooler to fit the nipples with hosing and worm clamps?

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove this crimp adapter so I may fit a hose and clamp.

I really don't want to replace the whole line because the rest of it's fine, and I hear it's one of the most PITA replacements on the entire truck.

This is driving me nuts!

Last edited by TaylorCadence; 04-15-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 947 Likes on 636 Posts

I've got straight hose and regular clamps on my trans cooler. No oil cooler to speak of. Works fine as long as you flare the ends, but the oil cooler sees more pressure than the trans cooler I think.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've got straight hose and regular clamps on my trans cooler. No oil cooler to speak of. Works fine as long as you flare the ends, but the oil cooler sees more pressure than the trans cooler I think.
Sorry man I'm confused on what you're saying. I'm not referring to oil cooler, just tranny. The way it's set up on mine is a weird spring loaded "tooth" style attachment on the cooler end which I can remove. Then on the tranny end, like in the photo, has a weird crimp style conversion from hosing to hard pipe. I'm trying to pry off the adapter so it can also reveal the nipple, like the cooler end, but can't figure out how. It'll be the same on both ends at that point to just use hosing and whatever style clamps, I'm going with worm.

Anyway I can make this work? Or is there another way.

Here's another photo:

Last edited by TaylorCadence; 04-16-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Just take a dremel tool with cutting wheel attachment and cut those crimp collars off hardlines. Just be sure to not cut into hardline or you will be going down the long dark road of replacing entire line. The cooler hardlines probably already have flared ends, so slide new hose on and clamp her up.

Edit: If you want to remove cooler end of line, you need a special tool that slides into the hose fitting and releases the springs inside collar. But, you should be able to cut collar for rubber hose off where it's at.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 04-16-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Just take a dremel tool with cutting wheel attachment and cut those crimp collars off hardlines. Just be sure to not cut into hardline or you will be going down the long dark road of replacing entire line. The cooler hardlines probably already have flared ends, so slide new hose on and clamp her up.

Edit: If you want to remove cooler end of line, you need a special tool that slides into the hose fitting and releases the springs inside collar. But, you should be able to cut collar for rubber hose off where it's at.

Brian.
great idea, was actually thinking of that right after I posted the last update. Need to just get my hands on one now. Keep you posted~

Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 PM
Mudding

Got it done. Here’s final product:

Going to swap out for higher rated hosing eventually. This is more of a quick fix to get it up and running again. It’s only rated for 150 degrees and around 100psi
Need to also use two of the larger size clamps. The small one is already spinning out on me.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Default P0734

So I lost about a quart and a half of fluid when the line cut. Refilled with All purpose Dextron 3 and a bit of Lucas additive. Now my Ultragauge is throwing P0734. I read about unplugging MAF or even go as far as cleaning it. Just swapped it about a month ago from a parts rover same year. i also read if the clips on the air box are damaged that can cause it, which mine are. I will check all of this and report back if it fixes it.

Should i I be worried that my tranny has been damaged?

Tranny is rebuilt with only about 40k on it Apprx. Maybe it’s times to just flush and replace filter/ check magnet etc.

What else can I diagnose here?

edit* also I smell burning fluid. May still be residual from engine bay and undercarriage. Havnt done a deep clean yet.

edit 2* sh*t, I’m remembering that this code actually threw when the problem happened. Right when I pulled over after seeing clouds of white smoke billowing behind me, P0734 showed up before I shut the truck off. if this narrows it down any. I think maybe MAF and airbox Is ruled out...

Last edited by TaylorCadence; 04-17-2018 at 02:32 PM.